Classix II Build with miniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going to use 7 channel analog input on the receiver. I haven't decided yet on the miniDSP, but yes it would just be the basic 2x4.

A lot depends on your various sources. The basic 2x4 miniDSP only has analog (RCA) inputs. So you'll have to use the receiver preamp for source switching and gain control. Also everything is going to go first through the ADC in the miniDSP.

If some of your sources are digital instead of analog, then the miniDSP HD gives you some other options to handle them directly without going through its ADC. It also gives you the ability to handle gain (volume) with its $5.00 remote unit.

The cost for the HD is about $100 more than the basic version, but gives you more flexibility.

Remember that with the miniDSP option, you will have to have four amplifier channels instead of just a stereo pair, since you'll need to drive the woofer and tweeter separately.

It looks like Parts Express has nearly all of the passive crossover components in stock, with the one exception being the 1.2 mH inductor. That's supposed to come back in stock at the end of the month. You could also buy their kit including cabinet, or just the front baffle. Both of those are in stock, including the whole kit and caboodle for the crossover.

Yes, the receiver has discrete channels. I am leaning towards the passive. Solen has all the parts in stock now. Some are a little different like .24mh inductor instead of .25 or .42 instead of .4 inductor (going off memory). This is okay though right? Also going for 150v cap instead of 250v is okay as well?

Plot twist.

A friend of mine has what look to be an old pair of mission 737, might be 770. I don’t know they are tucked in a room in his basement. He says I can borrow them indefinitely. Assuming they are in good working order would these be as good a speaker as the classix II?

Thanks
Brad

Plot twist.

A friend of mine has what look to be an old pair of mission 737, might be 770. I don’t know they are tucked in a room in his basement. He says I can borrow them indefinitely. Assuming they are in good working order would these be as good a speaker as the classix II?

Thanks
Brad

This is easy. Borrow them, play them, see if you like them. If so, keep them. If not, do something else.

There is no answer to the question... would these be as good? Depends on what you like.

Another quick point. If these speakers are 40 to 50 years old there is a very good chance that the surrounds and/or capacitors in the crossovers are shot. That's what got me into DIY speakers several years ago when my older speakers were falling apart - literally. I had the surrounds replaced, but they never sounded like the originals again.

I was able to pull them apart just enough to see what looked to be inverted rubber surrounds. The crossover might need work. Is it fairly straightforward to check values of the caps?

Easy enough to check capacitor values. You'll need a meter that can measure capacitance. Some low cost meters have that feature. You'll also need to remove at least one end of the capacitor from the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.