Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The semi-infinite-baffle coax three-way project
The semi-infinite-baffle coax three-way project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2019, 03:01 PM   #11
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Tfive,

I'm not sure what your're confused about? If you're crossing at 400hz keep the drivers close together. Crossing at 100hz? Then they can be further apart.
Old 26th June 2019, 10:03 PM   #12
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

I read kipmans post again. Now I see what I got wrong, he was taking about mounting all the speakers in the top corners, not only the woofer. I'm not so sure about this though. I have a friend who owns a five way horn system with the mid/high speakers about 1.6 meters above ground. His soundstage is noticeably elevated!
Old 11th July 2019, 05:26 PM   #13
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

Some more progress in the form of more detailed CAD drawings and toughts about internal bracing and damping...

For reference please see images below.

The "internal" enclosure for the SCS4 I plan to construct from one (inner) layer of 7mm MDF, then ceramic floor tiles attached by a ~2mm bitumen layer. For the outer layer i plan to use 14mm MDF. The space between the two MDF layers should be ~14mm and what is not occupied by floor tiles shall be filled completely with bitumen. This way i want to achieve some sort of constrained layer damping effect. See also the attached images. Furthermore I want to line the sides of the enclosure with rock wool, maybe even the original material that I took out of the original SCS4 enclosures

As the woofer will be crossed quite low, the main concern when constructing it's enclosure is stiffness rather than dampening. So I added lots of bracings to the woofer enclosure. For the woofer I now settled on a pair of Visaton S250S, -3dB at 70Hz with a Q of 0.82 in slightly undersized 22 liters net volume. Should be easy to correct in software. I chose these simply as they were available new in box for 30% of the price at the same guy i bought my stash of bitumen from.

Both speakers are intended to have their magnet structure to rest against the back of the enclosure, more specifically the back of the bracings inside.

Any thoughts on the plans regarding mounting/damping/bracing?

All needed speakers and materials are now "in stock", so I will likely begin actual construction next week, first up are the front and top baffles...

Last edited by Tfive; 11th July 2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Wrong Q 8.2 instead of 0.82

The semi-infinite-baffle coax three-way projectHide this!Advertise here!