A possible method for sharing cabinet space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When a woofer and midrange (or full range) share the same enclosure one has to contend with interactions such as the woofer trying to drive the mid as a passive radiator or internal reflections "coming through" the other driver.

One solution is of course a seperate inner enclosure for the smaller driver. Of course this means that the total enclosure must be larger. And you have actually accentuated the problem of the smaller speaker's back wave due to the smaller space allotted to it. In the case of the project I have in mind of bi-amped full range and sub in the same cabinet accomidating the highish Q of the full range also calls for a rather large inner enclosure.

While thinking this over the old acoustical labyrinth came to mind and suggested a possible solution in a form of a kind of half way covenant. What if we were to make the inner enclosure in the form of a stuffed, folded transmission line with the terminus opening into the main enclosure. The stuffed line should theoretically attenuate and redirect the back wave of the smaller driver preventing reflections. Reflections from the woofer through the smaller driver. Would also be avoided though there would still be some back pressure from the woofer impinging on the smaller driver but the stuffing might reduce that somewhat.

The advantage would be that both drivers would be seeing a larger internal volume than they would were it a sealed inner enclosure. Of course one would have to account for the extra volume of the walls of the line but it seems that some space savings could be had.

Any merit to such a design?

No merit, unless you are a rabbit who likes exploring bottomless holes. Today, designers are forgoing cabinets altogether, don’t you know?

Well my main speakers are open baffles so I am aware of that and its merits but the particular application I have in mind needs some sort of cabinet (preferably sealed) and on the small side.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
When a woofer and midrange (or full range) share the same enclosure [...]

One solution is of course a seperate inner enclosure for the smaller driver. Of course this means that the total enclosure must be larger.

Each driver needs it's own volume, no matter if it's two separate or one shared enclosure volume. If you don't take that into account, the driver will behave like it got only half the volume (if it's identical drivers).

Your 'labyrinth' idea does not work like that, it would be even bigger than a sealed enclosure for each.

-> You don't save any enclosure volume anyway (except for the thickness/volume of the divider)

-> Your theory does not work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.