Amount of FIR in multi channel active Xover/DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you'll have a hard time finding a high tap-count proaudio speaker management processor. Too much latency intolerance for their typical market.

On pure memory, xilica was the highest I can recall.

The installation processors such as q-sys offer quite a bit higher, you just need to build an xlr breakout panel if phoenix doesn't work for you.
I'm using q-sys at 8192 taps 48kHz

so what is the acceptable # of tap in live application? I would assume there is a difference between home and live because of the delay.

I think 15ms works. Other than for monitors of course, where near zero latency is needed.

My 15ms estimate may be a little above consensus, but not by much I think.
Guys have been tying mains to horn loaded subs with 10ft or greater paths forever....

Thanks you all for the info. It's quite frustrating to know that such a Pro Brands manufacture DSP with so few taps although I understand the difference in needs between home audio in which I'm looking for and live shows. I have heard of Four audio ,but I'm not familiar with it's qualities and I couldn't find how many taps their multi channel crossover/DSP has nor it's price !
Can anyone recommend me on multi channel crossover/DSP that has as close as possible to 64k taps for the sub,around 32k taps for the midbass,around 16k taps for the midrange and around 8k taps for the tweeters or as close as possible to the above mentioned taps ?

Can anyone recommend me on multi channel crossover/DSP that has as close as possible to 64k taps for the sub,around 32k taps for the midbass,around 16k taps for the midrange and around 8k taps for the tweeters or as close as possible to the above mentioned taps ?

Possible if you use PC/software based products like Acourate or Audiolense. So the PC will be your "hardware" and you will need additional peripherals like multichannel DACs and similar.

Look up the member here Mitchba and his posts (also his blogs in the former Computer Audiophile, now Audiophilestyle). He even wrote a book about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.