Homemade audio system from 1980s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a home that had a custom audio system installed during construction in 1982. Six rooms have 2 speakers while the living room has 2 subwoofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 other speakers.

I know very little about audio at this level, and quickly learned that most other 'audio' personnel don't understand it well enough.

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what I've got and what I likely need to get this system working. Right now, just a bunch of equipment on a wooden board (see attached).

Please help if you can... Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190322_222000.jpg
    20190322_222000.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 179
It looks like an early version of a “multi room system”, but not really hifi. It looks like the amplification is of PA origins, and all the transformers are also from the PA world. I’d be inclined to remove the gear, and just use the inbuilt speaker wiring if it suits your needs.

Cheers,

Matt

Looks DIY by a non-professional.
My own recommendation would be turf the system and start over as well, but that's not what you asked.
It looks like the design goal was to only have wires run to the speakers, and nothing else such as 70V transformers or even crossovers.
The things with donut-looking things on them are passive crossovers. They are used to wire up the living room speaker drivers. The transformers are used to connect all speakers to one amp or distribution box.
Looks like it was all sourced from Radio Shack. I bet you could Google every part number and find info on it.

This is all extremely helpful, thanks so much for the feedback!
If I scrap this system, but want to retain independent control for each room, I'd be looking at a receiver that can handle 7 different rooms. Are those available? I only find ones that can handle 4 rooms and at a steep price, but maybe I'm missing something here?
Bottom line, if I scrap this setup, what would you recommend as next step to utilize the 18 wired speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.