Rebuilding SpeakerLab System7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
The tweeter is a K77/TW35 and the Klipschorns used it in the vertical orientation.

K77-f apparently.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• lascala.jpg
    lascala.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 168
Was it worth it?

I too have 7's that need rebuilding. After all this time, I just built a pair of two ways, 850439 & 27TFFC, and really like what I'm hearing. (Once and DIYer always a DIYer I guess.)

Should I rebuild the 7's, that is the question? The foam surrounds are shot, the cabinets in pretty good shape. I still have the original xover schematics (can't believe I kept it so long!) Of course the spring terminals are shot and the pots are really noisy. I haven't taken them apart since they were built. I would expect the caps to be shot and who knows about the other components.

What do you think? Was it worth the effort? How do they compare to what you hear now? My new endevour seems so much more dynamic, detailed and less distorted, but the vague memories of the 70's when they were at their best keep me wondering what they could be again.

By the way, TimN8ter, thanks for the NWWA 2004. It was great fun. I tested my speakers and, thanks to that experience, have built a DIY mic for further knowledge and tweaks.

What do you think? Was it worth the effort? How do they compare to what you hear now?

BJ is a bit of an odd duck. He can't stand not having anything to do which is why he pulled out the Sevens and rebuilt them so for him the effort was the point. For me it was an interesting comparison. To me these speakers are suited to PA or party duty and very much sound like pro gear. The horn mid is certainly clear and along with the horn tweeter can be quite forward. These are perfect for large room or party applications and sound great with good detail. For intimate listening I could think of many other designs that would be better. At low levels the horn dominates the lower drivers even after adjusting the pots. The fun part is listening to Pink Floyd just like I remember it 30 years ago. :D

Thanks, I'm glad you benefitted from the DIY Meet. I've gotten together with a few people since then and each time it's inspiring and educational.

Re: Was it worth it?

fazer said:
I too have 7's that need rebuilding. After all this time, I just built a pair of two ways, 850439 & 27TFFC, and really like what I'm hearing. (Once and DIYer always a DIYer I guess.)

Should I rebuild the 7's, that is the question? The foam surrounds are shot, the cabinets in pretty good shape. I still have the original xover schematics (can't believe I kept it so long!) Of course the spring terminals are shot and the pots are really noisy. I haven't taken them apart since they were built. I would expect the caps to be shot and who knows about the other components.

What do you think? Was it worth the effort? How do they compare to what you hear now? My new endevour seems so much more dynamic, detailed and less distorted, but the vague memories of the 70's when they were at their best keep me wondering what they could be again.
By the way, TimN8ter, thanks for the NWWA 2004. It was great fun. I tested my speakers and, thanks to that experience, have built a DIY mic for further knowledge and tweaks.

Replacing the surrounds is fairly straightfoward with the kits available.

I really like to see the crossover schematic to see how the two
bass units are used, it might be the case one could be rewired
for better BSC and resistors wired as L-pads to bring the mid
and tweeter back in line.

If your reusing the original cabinets I'd suggest a new front
baffle with a vertical array of the 10", the midrange (horizontal)
and the tweeter and moving the 12" to the back panel.

:) sreten.

10 Woofer Marking Incorrect

For folks with Speakerlab 7 speakers, I still have a 1978 letter from Speakerlab informing me that the 10" woofers marked 7819 on the label attached to the back of the magnet assembly have the red mark on the wrong terminal and that the 10" woofers will be out of phase if the wiring for this woofer is not reversed (10' woofer only). Currently replacing the tweeters on mine with Crites CT120 and the crossover capacitors. Yes, my 10" woofers have been out-of-phase all these years, but I had thought for all these years that they have great bass response. Can't wait to complete them and see how different they sound. I suppose that the reason I thought the bass was fine is because these speakers also have 12" woofers and these were wired correctly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.