Acoustic Elegance TD18H+ vs ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We are looking to build new studio mains in our recording studio. I have been looking at the Acoustic Elegance TD18H+ with apollo opt they will be paired up with BMS 4594HE 1.4" coaxial compression driver in MTM form.We are not very limited by size of cabs but would like to stay around 5-7cf. These will be built in modular form so sep cab for each driver. We will be crossing over at 450-500hz would be best guess as of right now. Our room is about 22x28 or so. My question is do you guys think the AE drivers will be the best solution? I was looking at Faital Pro and B&C for sure. We will have subs in the room also we want these mains to get down to 35hz for sure and have lots of output. I want be sure before I purchase 4 of them :)

The best solution is a complex goal no engineer could ever arrive at with as few information as you have provided. AE drivers are specified to endure 1000W without any measuring standard being mentioned, unlike the professional brands. I would not bet on AE vs. pro brands in terms of robustness. Your AE units could get to 35 Hz vented at -10 dB.

We are looking to build new studio mains in our recording studio. I have been looking at the Acoustic Elegance TD18H+ with apollo opt they will be paired up with BMS 4594HE 1.4" coaxial compression driver in MTM form.We are not very limited by size of cabs but would like to stay around 5-7cf. These will be built in modular form so sep cab for each driver. We will be crossing over at 450-500hz would be best guess as of right now. Our room is about 22x28 or so. My question is do you guys think the AE drivers will be the best solution? I was looking at Faital Pro and B&C for sure. We will have subs in the room also we want these mains to get down to 35hz for sure and have lots of output. I want be sure before I purchase 4 of them :)

A good alternative to the TD18H is BMS 18N862, a superb driver!
Up to about 400hz I preferred this vs AE TD15M for SQ, and that is really saying something as the TD15M is a much better midwoofer than TD18H.

The best solution is a complex goal no engineer could ever arrive at with as few information as you have provided. AE drivers are specified to endure 1000W without any measuring standard being mentioned, unlike the professional brands. I would not bet on AE vs. pro brands in terms of robustness. Your AE units could get to 35 Hz vented at -10 dB.

I am only asking about drivers not trying to get someone to engineer anything :D

Attachment shows BMS 18N862 (yellow) vs AE TD18H+ (grey), both in 6cf vented encloure tuned to 28hz. The BMS typically has 4-5dB more output in the lower bass range, and has 35% greater xmax. So for the lower bass, BMS is the clear winner.

The Faital 18FH500 has a very small xmax, only half of the other two.

Attachments

• BMS vs AE.JPG
    BMS vs AE.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Attachment shows BMS 18N862 (yellow) vs AE TD18H+ (grey), both in 6cf vented encloure tuned to 28hz. The BMS typically has 4-5dB more output in the lower bass range, and has 35% greater xmax. So for the lower bass, BMS is the clear winner.

The Faital 18FH500 has a very small xmax, only half of the other two.

Yes it looks very good but just checked specs and it says it will only play to 200hz that maybe a problem we need xover around 450ish

Ricci at Data-Bass tested this driver with very positive results, and said this about LP crossover point;
"When combined with the light moving mass this gives the 18N862 a very nice top end, which should be useful up till at least 400-500Hz. It would make a great woofer for a large three way."
Here is the link to the test;
dB v2

I have used this driver myself with very good results to 500hz, crossed over to a 2" CD.

It is primarily intended as a subwoofer driver with its 25hz fs, I guess thats why BMS says 200hz LP.
But very good characteristics in other parameters also makes it work very well at least an octave higher.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.