Giant oblate spheroid? unity horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Attachments

• large_horn_meh.png
    large_horn_meh.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 673
Interesting speaker: are dimensions given? Then one could estimate directivity. Speaking as a qualified owner of a pair of Unity speakers (albeit somewhat buggered :D ), I can answer: "Don't know." Perhaps a good place to hunt up data is on gedlee.com or the sometimes enormous Geddes threads here. His speaker waveguide x-over is around 1K, so probably would not matter in that case!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here is a philosophical question: If the horn angle is expanded to 180 degrees, is it still a Synergy horn? :)

well a baffle is a a kind of horn (imparts directivity), hard to get the drivers within 1/4 wavelength though (the mids also need to be within that distance of each other).

Hard to tell from the pictures but I would agree probably a 90 degree conical horn. Looks like the company is a rich mans plaything (Esty founder). Its neat they have broken the symmetry a bit with the 3 midranges. I would love to see the mid/woofer pads without the drivers as I can't get my head round how they pipe into the horn.

Here is a philosophical question: If the horn angle is expanded to 180 degrees, is it still a Synergy horn? :)

Seems to me it would simply be a slot loaded speaker.

Jeffrey Jackson is into all kinds of incredible/exotic things - usually related to vintage RCA gear. He has partnered with that fine fellow Dave Slagle on many projects.

I think this is quite a good surprise when a traditionalist perfectionist is turning his attention to the SYNERGY idea.

Last edited:
well a baffle is a a kind of horn (imparts directivity), hard to get the drivers within 1/4 wavelength though (the mids also need to be within that distance of each other).

Actually it might be doable, if we use a small flange-less tweeter instead of a compression deriver. For instance, the Peerless XT25SC40-04 1" Ring Radiator has a diameter of only 44mm.
Peerless XT25SC40-04 1" Ring Radiator XT Tweeter 4 Ohm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.