Vintage speaker ID/info please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a bit more info for those of you not crazy about clicking on links,

They're apparently Yamaha NB-304 and I asked her to check.

Attachments

• yamaha.png
    yamaha.png
    440.6 KB · Views: 183
Also tried doing a search and found nothing. Yamaha typically used driver with white dust caps and hifiengine search also drew a blank. However JBL did use white drivers with black dust caps.

Any chance you can get a pic of the rear with any label info?

$50- for the pair?
I'd take a chance on the woofers value alone.
The mid and tweeters are probably simple sealed back units tho but if the mid has the black plastic cylinder behind it as per Foster/Fostex/Coral mids worth buying just for the mids

Well that's exciting about the mids. I was eyeing up that enclosure too, decent amount of volume.

I messaged her last night, just hoping nobody beats me to the punch. Stuff like this is usually ridiculously overpriced in isolated Perth.

This is fun. I have an Akai system that may have some of these drivers...but mine has a 15" woofer! and two horn super tweeters or whatever. It's one of those clog the baffle with as many speakers as can be fitted. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Well it's good news bad news.

Bad news first. They're as cheaply built as the Sony 3 ways and Technics 2 ways I played with recently. Midrange is closed back, there is minimal bracing and zero stuffing.

Good news. The 12" woofer is a little bit better made than the 10" on the Sony and it really shows, much better sound than the Sonys straight out of the box, clearer and deeper. These are keepers and I'll definitely be adding some bracing and stuffing when I get a chance. Certainly worth $50.

I'm having to rethink my attitude to these cheap speakers, these things aren't bad at all for very little money.

Even swmbo likes them.

Attachments

• 20190421_151349_resized.jpg
    20190421_151349_resized.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190421_150717_resized.jpg
    20190421_150717_resized.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 81
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.