Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Woofer and configuration selection
Woofer and configuration selection
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2004, 03:26 AM   #1
Daniel_AVR is offline Daniel_AVR  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Woofer and configuration selection

Hi to all diy members here....

I lurked this forum for a few months now, before deciding to suscribe as a member....

I'm a newbie in this world..... having only a sub building project under my belt.... project that I'm pretty proud of.....

I never heard such a great sub in stores... in my area...

Obviously I had asked many dumbs questions on some HT forums, and then I bought the "Loudspeaker Cookbook" and d/l some sims programs and play with them a lot before making my mind...

The good result leads me to step up the difficulty to some full range enclosures..... ...to replace older Paradigm 7se

by the way those who like to see the sub can follow this link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/123013201KaNAzy

so for my next project, I picked the Vifa XT25 for tweeter, based on reviews I've read on the net and stepping on the opportunity to own these at a very good price (long story).... so now I'm still trying to figure what should be the best configuration and selection for matching woofer(s)

For now I tend to lean for an MTM configuration..... for the so called efficiency gain.... but I'm also a bit intimidated at the work ahead as I nearly didn't know nothing about crossover.....

I also like the Ken Perkins Nebula or the Thomas W Tibor...
as they are already made project with proven crossover design....

I've made some preliminar seach... with budget in mind, look, power handling, Fs etc.... sure a pair of Seas W18E00 would be great but too expensive for my knowledge....

I'm looking for a good articulate and detailed but not aggressive polyvalent music speaker, yet able to rock sometimes as well as able to play some classical piece sometimes... a good do it all.... that will play soft rock mostly. They could have a relatively limited bass extention as it'll be used with my sub (crossed at 60Hz)... so medium size bookshelfs are prefered

I also have Athena's AS-B1 as surrounds and AS-C1 as center, for HT.... All those will be driven by an HK AVR525

now my list is; (they're all 7" or 8" but 6.5" could be good if MTM config. is picked)

Vifa;
PL18WOO9-08
MG18WK09-08 (like the look)
XG18WWH00-08

Hi-Vi;
M8N
F8 (like the look too)

feel free to make suggestions, comments, statements, ask questions, bashed me if you feel it could help...

Thanks

Daniel
  Reply to this post

Woofer and configuration selectionHide this!Advertise here!