1.5 inch compression drivers for JBL 2384

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just put in an order for two JBL 2384 waveguides. There’s probably not a lot of experience with alternative drivers for this waveguide as there is not a lot of horns or waveguides out there with 1.5 inch throats. But regardless I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. What should I look for? Are the other brands superior to JBL? As I can see, BMS, B&C and Eighteen Sound makes some suitable drivers. Have I missed someone? Thinking of crossing active at around 600 hz to either forward firing woofers or making it a synergy like the syntrip by weltersys.

I use 2384 on top of the JBL 4722's with a steep active XO at JBL's recommended XO of 630 Hz. Based on user notnyt at AVSForum tested a few JBL 1.5" CD's on 2384: Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Preferences are:

1) 2452H-SL + BeX4008
2) 2452H-SL / 2453H-SL
3) D2430K
4) 2432H

I switched out the stock 2432H 3" CD driver with the the 4" Aquaplased 2453h-SL as per notnyt's findings. It is the best bang for the buck. Smooth sounding with low distortion. The downside is that you can't just drop in different diaphragms, but the price is right compared to the other JBL drivers... Post's 120 thru 140 have all of the driver measurements on the thread.

Hi AdamFelix,

If you can afford it, I would get the JBL 2435HPL with Be diaphragms. They can typically be had second-hand on Ebay for a lot less than second-hand TADs. I have not heard them myself, but djk (RIP) used to like the JBL 2384/2435HPL combo very much, and he knew it all:).

Best regards
Peter

I have just put in an order for two JBL 2384 waveguides. There’s probably not a lot of experience with alternative drivers for this waveguide as there is not a lot of horns or waveguides out there with 1.5 inch throats. But regardless I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. What should I look for? Are the other brands superior to JBL? As I can see, BMS, B&C and Eighteen Sound makes some suitable drivers. Have I missed someone? Thinking of crossing active at around 600 hz to either forward firing woofers or making it a synergy like the syntrip by weltersys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.