SB Acoustic in TL design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A Qts of 0.40 is essentially perfect for a TL. I'm currently modeling TLs for the WO24P-4 for a DIYer in Sweden and it works extremely well in both a tapered and a mass-loaded TL. I suspect the 8-ohm version would do so as well. IMO, a driver with a Qts range of 0.35 to 0.50 will almost always perform well in a TL; drivers with a low Qts, especially below 0.3, usually don't.
Paul

TL experienced guys, do you think if new SB Acoustic Satori 9 1/2" WO24P-8 will be good in TL configurations.
Specification looks promising. QTS is relatively high QTS=0.40.

I haven't completed the design yet as the person in Sweden I'm doing it for is deciding between 3 different versions. Also, once he's decided I would get his permission before sharing it. That said, the WO24-4 works so well in a TL, according to the modeling I've so far done, that there are likely numerous, well-performing designs that could be created for different line volumes, bass reach and line configurations, etc., none of which would be duplicates of what I'm working on right now.
Paul

Would you be so kind as to share your WO24 TL design?

Pkitt
as I understood your project is finished. Please could you share some data.
What program was used for design? How is big enclosure?
I decided for SB because low Fs and ideal Qts. I know that box will be bigger than your but this is compromise. MW and HF will be open baffle with my own open ribbon. I found that Leonardo software is very good for TL design.

The design is not necessarily finished. I did send modeling graphs for the latest iteration to my "customer" and he has to review it to decide if that's what he wants to pursue. The modeling software I used is that from Martin King (Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design) but it's no longer available (I've been using it for 10 years or longer). The box volume (for just the woofer) is 63 liters. While the LA software was a good start, it was never really finished and had some moderately serious deficiencies regarding stuffing definitions and descriptions.
Paul

Pkitt
as I understood your project is finished. Please could you share some data.
What program was used for design? How is big enclosure?
I decided for SB because low Fs and ideal Qts. I know that box will be bigger than your but this is compromise. MW and HF will be open baffle with my own open ribbon. I found that Leonardo software is very good for TL design.

While that has been correct I don't think it is now, but if it is I know it won't be much longer as Martin's pulling the plug on his Yahoo account in mid-summer or so.
Paul

If you join Martin's facebook TL group and make contact with him you are likely to find he is happy to let you have the old mathcad software on a personal basis. It is just not publicly available anymore.

Paul,
Any idea why Martin keeps his TL program kind of out of reach? I don't do Facebook, and I never will so I can't join in on that. I know TL's are still advanced for most, but he could maybe make some money if he could produce a program along the lines of "Transmission Lines For Dummies" so us mere mortals could try our hand at it.

Terry

Originally Martin made his software available free to anyone as long as it wasn't used for commercial purposes. When it was he started charging a 1-time fee for it, $25 for DIYers and $250 for commercial use. He still had people using it for commercial purposes "illegally". Furthermore it became more difficult for Martin to keep updating the existing programs corresponding with updates to Mathcad and he didn't want to redo the software so it would work with other software like Mathcad. I'm not on Facebook and don't intend to follow Martin to Facebook probably for the same reasons as you.
Paul

Paul,
Any idea why Martin keeps his TL program kind of out of reach? I don't do Facebook, and I never will so I can't join in on that. I know TL's are still advanced for most, but he could maybe make some money if he could produce a program along the lines of "Transmission Lines For Dummies" so us mere mortals could try our hand at it.

Terry

It's a shame that his hard work and generosity was abused by some folks. The sad thing is that his willingness to share could have taken TL to where it would be a little more mainstream - so to speak. I missed out on that when it was available. Day late and a dollar short, I guess. And the mysteries of TL perpetuate...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.