B&C DCX464

For comparison: DCX464 predecessors, DCM50 and DCX50.

Left: Raw response of the DCM50 (single composite paper cone shaped diaphram) without horn

Right: Raw response of the tweeter section of the DCX50 (same mid diaphram + Mylar
tweeter diaphragm) without horn.

Attachments

• DCM50_No Horn.jpg
    DCM50_No Horn.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 945
  • DCX50 Tweeter Section_No Horn.gif
    DCX50 Tweeter Section_No Horn.gif
    11 KB · Views: 958
Got some tests in today, dcx464 vs 4594HE on xt1464.
All tests at about 3 meters off deck outside.

First graph is on-axis. dcx traces are blues, bms green and orange.

Next are mid-section horizontal polars. 10 deg increments. dcx on top, bms below.

Last are high-section polars, same as above.

Attachments

• xt1464 OA compare dcx464 in blue.JPG
    xt1464 OA compare dcx464 in blue.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1,080
  • xt1464  mid comparison dcx464 on top 4594HE below.JPG
    xt1464 mid comparison dcx464 on top 4594HE below.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,106
  • xt1464  high comparison dcx464 on top 4594HE below.JPG
    xt1464 high comparison dcx464 on top 4594HE below.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 641
1) Thank you :)
2) What was the smoothing, mark?

DCX464 looks definitely much better regarding the MF + HF integration, like a piece of cake, compared to BMS coaxials (a nightmare).

With my limited knowledge it seems good to me too.

Since I saw the specs I was wondering about the top end. The 17-18k fall...

(Even though my ears probably go up to 14k in my dreams. Heheh)

Hi guys, a little more info...
First, smoothing was 1/6 for big picture clarity, and I should have talked a bit more about measuring conditions. (Tried to add via edit but was too late, busy since.)
Like said, outdoor measurements away from deck into a mic on a boom 3m away.
Wind was up enough to make VHF a bit of a problem....along with a host of circadas singing, boats going by and waves hitting the rip-rap.
Not the best of conditions but I've found with 1-2sec averaging still beats indoors by a mile.

Mabat, i sure agree the dcx MF + HF integration looks sooo much easier.
That said, I've found I can cross the 4594 at 6300 no problems... i just don't try to go any higher or lower !
Oh, another cool thing about the dcx....appears there is no timing offset to contend with between MF + HF....unlike the .06ms in the bms (on 1464)

daemonsgr, I can't hear much if any above 14k either...but I would like to chase bats away:D

Attached is some of this morning's playing around.
I got tired of messing with a synergy prototype, and put the dcx464 back on the xt1464, to do my standard on-axis tune job, and then see how it holds up off axis. Conditions were about the same as described, maybe a little better.

The yellow on-axis trace is FIR corrected and crossing at 3200Hz, 16th order LR. High passed at 500Hz, 16th LR . 1/12th smoothing. 1 sec averaging.
Then 10 degree increments using a spinorama.

Don't pay too much attention above 16kHz, wind...you can see the lack of coherence in the red trace above the SPL curves.

Now, I'm gonna quit measuring for a bit, and mate the 464/1464 combo to a single 12",....time to give a listen :)

edit: scratch the no timing offset comment...had .08ms delay in place ugh

Attachments

• 464 on 1464 horiz 10 degree incre.JPG
    464 on 1464 horiz 10 degree incre.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Hi guys, a little more info...
First, smoothing was 1/6 for big picture clarity, and I should have talked a bit more about measuring conditions. (Tried to add via edit but was too late, busy since.)
Like said, outdoor measurements away from deck into a mic on a boom 3m away.
Wind was up enough to make VHF a bit of a problem....along with a host of circadas singing, boats going by and waves hitting the rip-rap.
Not the best of conditions but I've found with 1-2sec averaging still beats indoors by a mile.

Mabat, i sure agree the dcx MF + HF integration looks sooo much easier.
That said, I've found I can cross the 4594 at 6300 no problems... i just don't try to go any higher or lower !
Oh, another cool thing about the dcx....appears there is no timing offset to contend with between MF + HF....unlike the .06ms in the bms (on 1464)

daemonsgr, I can't hear much if any above 14k either...but I would like to chase bats away:D

Attached is some of this morning's playing around.
I got tired of messing with a synergy prototype, and put the dcx464 back on the xt1464, to do my standard on-axis tune job, and then see how it holds up off axis. Conditions were about the same as described, maybe a little better.

The yellow on-axis trace is FIR corrected and crossing at 3200Hz, 16th order LR. High passed at 500Hz, 16th LR . 1/12th smoothing. 1 sec averaging.
Then 10 degree increments using a spinorama.

Don't pay too much attention above 16kHz, wind...you can see the lack of coherence in the red trace above the SPL curves.

Now, I'm gonna quit measuring for a bit, and mate the 464/1464 combo to a single 12",....time to give a listen :)

edit: scratch the no timing offset comment...had .08ms delay in place ugh

Heehhe is all about psychoacoustics hehehe I like looking at my speakers too!!

Btw how is the sound? Quality? Etc. I want them for hifi of course.
Thnx

Doing some listening finally :D

Using the on-axis tuning below, that added a single rcf 12" mb12n405 to get down to 100Hz, to tie to sub (not shown).
(I tilt that flat line curve to taste, to the usual downward sloping curve prefered by most, (including me)).

First thing I immediately noticed, was that the 12" sounded hollow. I kinda remembered hearing the same sound when i tried the bms at lower frequencies than with my normal 650Hz crossover point (with the xt1464 or HF950 horns).

So I reworked the crossover between the 12" and the dcx from 500Hz to 650Hz...
plus this lets me compare more apples to apples to the bms, with the zillion songs I've heard crossed at 650Hz.....

Much better...maybe this horn just ain't meant to run lower...

Really beautiful, dynamic sound. Pleasure.

I guess the only quick observation I can hazard at this point vs the bms, is that the high freq end of the dcx might be a little smoother. Won't know for sure till I do some serious SPL crankin :D

Oh and one ergo thing I love about the dcx464...is not having the damn HF terminals stick straight out the dang back, always in the way ...

Attachments

• 405 and dcx464 on 1464.JPG
    405 and dcx464 on 1464.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 795
I guess the only quick observation I can hazard at this point vs the bms, is that the high freq end of the dcx might be a little smoother. Won't know for sure till I do some serious SPL crankin :D

This was to be expected as well, despite the less than stellar response.

I wonder how the DCX would perform behind a low Fc horn.

Mark100, do you happen to have a single diaphragm driver (preferably a FaitalPro ;)) at hand for comparison?

Last edited:
Doing some listening finally :D

Using the on-axis tuning below, that added a single rcf 12" mb12n405 to get down to 100Hz, to tie to sub (not shown).
(I tilt that flat line curve to taste, to the usual downward sloping curve prefered by most, (including me)).

First thing I immediately noticed, was that the 12" sounded hollow. I kinda remembered hearing the same sound when i tried the bms at lower frequencies than with my normal 650Hz crossover point (with the xt1464 or HF950 horns).

So I reworked the crossover between the 12" and the dcx from 500Hz to 650Hz...
plus this lets me compare more apples to apples to the bms, with the zillion songs I've heard crossed at 650Hz.....

Much better...maybe this horn just ain't meant to run lower...

Really beautiful, dynamic sound. Pleasure.

Oh and one ergo thing I love about the dcx464...is not having the damn HF terminals stick straight out the dang back, always in the way ...

Maybe its diyaudio bread and butter but whats the measurements? (Software hardware i mean) you use active here?