ExBushMe, Meister! 2-way speaker Synergy WAW / FAST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey DIYAudio!

So I've read a few threads on Synergy concept and then got fascinated and sold on two fay Synergy FAST design that xrk and Bushmeister used in their speaker build. I decided that i need that thing!

First, i started acquiring equipment. While there are plenty of speaker and horn options in Russia, i wasn't able to find a local source of 18Sound horn that Bush used in his build, nor the Faital horn. There were people who promised to import them, but that required a lot of waiting and i needed the stuff by my door today :) so i decided to look for an alternative.

So i bought this p.audio horn:

03.16.2019-23.45.png

It was not as smooth as those used by X and Bush, but i still decided to go ahead.

I decided to buy SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 driver that was used in xBush build since it was highly regarded by litterally everyone who tried it. Bought the driver from US, paid a little extra for shipping.

I originally was planning on using Beyma 8G-40 as mid-bass drivers. I like those, they are true beasts and i use them in sealed boxes in my car. But they turned out too big for that particular horn. So, i put aside 4 Beymas for later project (hint: which is already in the making)

I started looking for a cheap alternative. After a bit of searching, i decided to try a local brand: Ural and their flagship midbass driver 6.5" "Warhead":

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The driver is highly regarded among car audio enthusiasts here in Russia. Here are the specs:

Size: 6.5 inches
Frequency Range: 36-7000 Hz
Max Power: 360W
Nominal Power: 180W
Resistance: 4
Sensitivity: 93
Fs: 42
Qts: 0,6
Vas: 16,2

The specs are distorted by their marketing team, i believe. Especially the frequency range and sensitivity. But otherwise, they modeled quite nice in both Hornresp and WINISD:

03.16.2019-23.59.png

Then, since my woodworking skills are practically zero, i found a local guy with a CNC machine whom i asked to build the whole thing by my drawings.

First, i needed an adapter for a 2 inch throat. This is what we were able to get using CNC and MDF:

03.17.2019-00.04.png

Next up, we needed to somehow position woofers on the horn. The drawing i supplied to the CNC guy looked like this:

03.17.2019-00.06.png

I was originally going to use a 40mm injection port, but then decided to go with 50mm port to minimize chuffing. And a thinner piece of MDF - i decided that 16mm of thickness is plenty.

Here is what we got as a result:

03.17.2019-00.07.png

Now for the box. The dimensions were decided to be 45x45x35.

This sequence shows the process:

Woofer adapters were mounted using tite bond glue:

Widebanders have their own 0.5L enclosure:

It is a 2-way speaker and will be supported with a subwoofer crossed at about 80-100hz. Such systems needs an active processing and amplifying. Since i had a few car audio amps and Audison Bit One laying around i decided to by 220->12V transfomer and use this stuff for this speaker:

And here's how the whole thing looks as a final product:

I just brough the whole thing home and will tune it tomorrow.
I plan on using LR24 filters on everything. Crossing it at about 500-600Hz.

I tape-measured the distance between the widebander and woofer injection port and will use it in the DSP for time alignment. The distance is 17cm, by the way.

BitOne only has graphic eq with 31 bands. Which is a pity. But i do have Dirac DDRC laying around, which i will use as a final correction module.

What ya guys think?

P.S. After the start of this project, i found a local opportunity to buy 18Sound horn that Bushmeister used in his speaker for cheap. And then i also bought Faital HF104 compression driver. So i will be doing an almost PA synergy build with those a bit later with Beymas and Faital CD.

Wow great work!
Really looking forward to seeing the measurements!
I still love my synergies - particularly for near field listening as they are so point source!
I think horn dispersion plays a huge role - if you've been following some of the threads on here about dispersion properties and listening preferences.
I want to try a wider dispersion horn at some point to compare.
Keep the updates coming!

They sound spectacular. The sound is very detailed, smooth. Instruments in the image are very detectable - i can almost see them if i close my eyes. Well, even if i don't :) Can't ramp up the volume much, though - i live in an old house and everything starts to rumble which ruins the sound.

Will post measurements as soon as i figure out the way to feed the digital input of my DDRC22 - i don't have a sound card with digital output.

Nice project! I really wonder how these rectangular horns do their thing. Because if they do well, the mounting of the low-mid driver is so much easier on the flat sides. I am strongly considering the bms 2230 or its p.audio copy (plastic is easier to cut in the end...;) )
I read on your 6th order idea for the beymas in the original thread. I can only warn of a resonator in the "kick" bass region, it is impossible to get a smooth response when coupled to a subwoofer. I had to build such a system (4 way, 10inch br on top of an 18 inch br), to finally understand that the phase shifts too much. Closed the Br on the 10 inch, then it worked - which would be the same problem on the 6th order bp. Unless, you plan on heavy, heavy FIR filters, which my behringer is not able to do...
Good luck with it and I am happy about updates!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nice project! I really wonder how these rectangular horns do their thing. Because if they do well, the mounting of the low-mid driver is so much easier on the flat sides. I am strongly considering the bms 2230 or its p.audio copy (plastic is easier to cut in the end...;) )
I read on your 6th order idea for the beymas in the original thread. I can only warn of a resonator in the "kick" bass region, it is impossible to get a smooth response when coupled to a subwoofer. I had to build such a system (4 way, 10inch br on top of an 18 inch br), to finally understand that the phase shifts too much. Closed the Br on the 10 inch, then it worked - which would be the same problem on the 6th order bp. Unless, you plan on heavy, heavy FIR filters, which my behringer is not able to do...
Good luck with it and I am happy about updates!

thoroughly recommend it I used the PH-4220:
BM-D446 on PH-4220
its a lot more work than even a normal 3 way with all the tricky fabrication but fixes the issues of a normal 15"+CD design by allowing crossover to the horn lower than normal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.