Port dimensions Sansui SP-X8000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this is the correct part of the forum to post this request?

Last year I bought a pair of 16" woofers which had originated in Sansui SP-X8000 speakers.
Since there are no T/S parameters available ( I can't find anyway) online, I thought it would probably be better to build a set of cabinets to the same dimensions as the original. The box dimensions are available but not the dimensions of the 2 reflex ports.

If anyone here has a pair of these speakers, could they possibly measure the diameter and length of the port tubes?

In anticipation.

Mike

Thanks,
I was trying to avoid having to do all of this, and thought that since Sansui already did it when they build the speakers that their boxes would be more accurate than anything I could design.

Without going into a long story, I lost most of my equipment a few years ago in a fire, so I don't have an oscilloscope or a low distortion audio signal generator any more.
My preference would be to put these into bigger 'sealed' boxes, but I would have to do as you suggest. If nobody here has these speakers, that I can get the port dimensions from, I might end up doing this.

Regards
Mike

well i know one thing for sure you own a computer (but i could be wrong)...REW is a great freeware program so is Speaker Workshop, a 3.5 mm stereo plug and a resistor...your in business again...sorry about the fire, hate those, lost a brother in law that way...

well i'll get out of the way so hopefully you get a more concise reply

passing thought... depending on storage conditions are you certain the surrounds and spiders are gonna match published spec??

Last edited:
I like Rod Elliot's methods, and I've just remembered that one of my meters has a few frequency ranges, so if I download an online sig. gen. I will have everything need to make the tests this way.
Funny thing is that I've read most of Elliot's stuff on amplifiers over the years but never thought to look at his work on speakers.

Much appreciated Turk!

Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have not been overly impressed at how well the DATS2 generates T/S.

The big Sansuis (and many of the Japanese speakers of the 70s/80s stuffed too much woofer into too small a box. It generated a big lump at the bottom that tended to sell speakers to the punters.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now that i see the speaker, it occurs too me that i have dissamebed a set of these. I may have one of the woofers hanging on my wall.

dave

Thanks Planet 10,
Yes I read about the shortcomings of the small box size on a few reviews. The speakers do get praise from those who listen to acoustic instruments - Jazz or orchestral, and that would suit me fine.

Thanks GM, I was reluctant to ask there as most of the comments are poo pooing these speakers for lack of bass :)

Mike

Thanks GM, I was reluctant to ask there as most of the comments are poo pooing these speakers for lack of bass :)

You're welcome!

Don't see the relevance, I mean to me these are 'mickey mouse' speakers not worth the effort, but willing to help you; but OK, fine, you have the drivers, the cab, so how big a hole can fit in the corners and what is a decent guesstimate of the cab's net volume [Vb] and I'll figure out what will tune it to the 25 Hz spec.

The tubes will probably be long, so need to know the cab's internal depth + baffle thickness.

The tubes can be installed just part way with some putty/whatever to temporarily seal them and if tuned too low, then cut off an inch on each to raise it, etc., till it's as good as it gets in whatever location you plan to put them.

GM

Thanks Turk.
I understand why some people spend a lot on their speakers, but so long as I can hear a double bass properly as near as possible to what it sounds like when I go to a concert (something I do quite often) I'm happy enough. Believe it or not these speakers do that very well in the living room of my mobile home (trailer in the USA) .

I can't work out how to add a photo ( it asks for a url ??

244mm so 9 5/8" deep.... really that shallow...let's not forget that the vertical baffle space used in the original for the mids, tweets and horn could be traded for depth dimension, as long as the volume remains the same, would allow for stuffing space behind the driver and in case GM needs it for longer port tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.