Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Where did you find the pictures in post 10552 and where is the "previous page" ? Thanks
Sorry, I meant the post on the page before that "previous page".
The other pictures were taken from my "Klangfilm" folder and collected over the years.

The Bionor clone was made by a French decor builder on behalf of Dior for a fashion show.
It's apparently en vogue to use loudspeaker systems for stage sets at fashion shows, because around the same time as last year's Dior show, more living room-friendly systems were used for a show by the late designer/polymath Virgil Abloh.
1663106693597.png

2 variants were designed:
1663106944066.png

Those systems comply with the thread title, because the tweeter can be omitted if the Altec (or the Lamar M1, as used for the consumer version) is replaced by a modern 1" or 1.4" driver. Beyma LX V2 woofers were used for the show systems, instead of the custom-made Supravox units in the consumer version.

In his last, posthumous show, (plexiglas) loudspeaker systems were once again used as set pieces. The theme fits perfectly with this era and the recent discussion in this thread.
1663106479763.png

1663102652735.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I guess these were primarily used as decor items, this is also suggested by the far from optimal arrangement. However, cables are visible, so they may have been used as 'infill' speakers.

In the foreground the consumer version. Recommended price: 62,030€ :sneaky:

1663143760597.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, if it costs 60k it must be good right? parallel walls don't matter as long as price goes vertical!:D They are beautiful items, decor, but visual beauty is separate thing to audible beauty. It doesn't mean they couldn't coexist or which one should be paying for, its just that often the other seems to be traded-off for the other.

Last edited:
It's Bjørn Kolbrek of course.

Funny that you mention Devon Turnbull, aka "Old School Hi-Fi Influencer".
A little over 3 years ago I referenced his first major project in this thread.

The reason why I have regularly referred to historical audio (research) for years imo also explains the emergence of all kinds of vintage-inspired initiatives.
This phenomenom can be considered in a very broad context, which may be summarized with: the desire for simplification, purity/essence and an experience that differs greatly from streaming music via a smart speaker.

Regarding this vintage-inspired 'school', however, a multi-layered schism with the current era can be distinguished, which I tried to illustrate by mentioning the price of the Admire Audio AA3.

The company also offers a horn loaded 2-way system with 2 woofers + 1" for 24.780 €.

1663194322178.png

Last edited:
It is a custom Kinoshita - Rey Audio large format monitor system. Similar to the Pioneer TSM-1/TAD 2401 with an extra woofer section.

Rey Audio still produces such monitor systems that seem to be gaining popularity for use in Japanese clubs/bars.

Here's another example with a separate bass section + sub.

1663950960256.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users