Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

It's (exactly) this one:

LM 555.png

The driver was measured with 20uF cap in series + an AH160 horn, which looks like this:

160 plus Vitavox.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Question....Can I use the signal generator (of REW), dual tone, to explore XO possibilities? I set it to 4:1 mode where the first, lower, tone, is higher in level.....10khz on the highside....swept through the bass range on the low side looking for issues.....Is this logical?

Last edited:
The logical first step to explore crossover possibilities is to create the crossover.
Apply PEQ to flatten response of the drivers in their passbands, then develop time/phase aligned crossovers for the range under consideration (around 200 Hz minimum, up to around 800Hz).
Store, recall, compare.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I've lurked around for a long time, first time poster. I have also been thinking about the possibilities in this thread. I recently ordered some bms 4592's to mate with my 225hz multicell horns. I gotta get some measurements when they arrive, but if everything measures up like I believe, then I should be building a few martin 215mk3 to cover 50-250or 300. The spec sheet says the bins have output from 35-500 250 reccomended xover, they are not bandpass horns, but are somewhat folded. I suspect indoors I could get a fairly low response out of them. Maybe the bins won't be the highest fidelity design, but they get some rave reviews on speaker plans, sadly there are not many measurements available. Have to build and see I suppose.

Anyway, I notice there are alot of bms owners in this thread, anyone happen to know the exit angle of the bms 4592? I've read 10 degrees in a different thread, hopefully someone can confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the 4592 but can not confirm the angle. Hard to tell behind the bug screen. :)

What are the horns? Commercial or home made?
They are commercial, dukane/vitavox 2x5's with a native 2" throat (they have the same geometry adapters for 1" 3 bolt drivers and another for threaded drivers) the adapter has a 10 degree horizontal entrance and a 0 degree vertical entrance to a rectangular slot. I'm assuming the bms will be much better suited than my 2445 on the throat :D

Hey guys, I've lurked around for a long time, first time poster. I have also been thinking about the possibilities in this thread. I recently ordered some bms 4592's to mate with my 225hz multicell horns. I gotta get some measurements when they arrive, but if everything measures up like I believe, then I should be building a few martin 215mk3 to cover 50-250or 300. The spec sheet says the bins have output from 35-500 250 reccomended xover, they are not bandpass horns, but are somewhat folded. I suspect indoors I could get a fairly low response out of them. Maybe the bins won't be the highest fidelity design, but they get some rave reviews on speaker plans, sadly there are not many measurements available. Have to build and see I suppose.

Anyway, I notice there are alot of bms owners in this thread, anyone happen to know the exit angle of the bms 4592? I've read 10 degrees in a different thread, hopefully someone can confirm.
I am looking at some old notes on the 4592ND that say 10 exit angle, I will to be able to confirm this when I’m back from vacation in a week or so. Plse also remember to delay the treble portion. My same notes say 0.145ms @5.8k but that’s a number I got from someone on the internet. Maybe someone on here can confirm?

I am looking at some old notes on the 4592ND that say 10 exit angle, I will to be able to confirm this when I’m back from vacation in a week or so. Plse also remember to delay the treble portion. My same notes say 0.145ms @5.8k but that’s a number I got from someone on the internet. Maybe someone on here can confirm?
Thanks, I ended up with the passive xovers to use until for a short bit until I get going on a new bottom end, I'm all out of processing at the moment.... I've read .145 or .175, ChrisA on the klipsch forums has the correct delay posted there and I believe posted here somewhere as well. Also, It looks like the treble leads the midrange, as the midrange looks to have a longer path.

Attachments

• bms_catalogue_2015-5-18.jpg.b21dfa6aa5b8c83ccbf2515b2e3f9c93.jpg
    bms_catalogue_2015-5-18.jpg.b21dfa6aa5b8c83ccbf2515b2e3f9c93.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks, I ended up with the passive xovers to use until for a short bit until I get going on a new bottom end, I'm all out of processing at the moment.... I've read .145 or .175, ChrisA on the klipsch forums has the correct delay posted there and I believe posted here somewhere as well. Also, It looks like the treble leads the midrange, as the midrange looks to have a longer path.
You’re right, sorry for the mix up! And yes, ChrisA on the Klipsch forums is where I found the delay so full credit to him.

I always wondered whether there would also be an advantage when using drivers like the 4594he or the DCX464 on a smaller horn and only from 800Hz up (or even crossed a littler higher). Would there be any IMD advantages over using a single 1.4" driver from 800Hz up in a power HiFi situation ? From the THD measurements alone they don't seem to have a big advantage. The tweeter section of the DCX for instance is even worse regarding D2 than many 1.4" driver.
There is the advantage of the higher upper cuttoff frequency that I can see though. But any decent 1.4" driver does already have a higher cutoff frequency than my hearing in the meantime.....

Regards

Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It is very possible to cover 50-15k with a fully horn loaded two-way system. I have done many variations on this over the past 25 years. My initial development focus was on the bass horns. These are hyperbolic exponential expansion and the mouths are about 4'X2' and are designed to sit flatly on the floor flare up to take advantage of fraction space loading which improves response. These bass horns fc a little below 50hz and develop ~110dB/w/m. They feature extremely flat frequency response to 500Hz in my untreated listening room. The flat frequency response was achieved by minimizing folds and employing Hyugens wave reflectors. I used a pair of EV15L lead guitar woofers to construct compression drivers for the folded bass horns. The bass horn work is similar to work that has been independently done by Nelson Pass, Bert Doppenberg, Martin Seddon and others. In general, the form of the bass horn looks a lot like a giant vacuum cleaner. My family and friends refer to my bass horns as "The Hoovers". My initial approach for >500Hz were four petal tractix mid and high frequency horns using the JBL 2445 with Radian diaphrams for mids and JBL 2416 drivers for highs. Some years ago, Martin Seddon built a set of AH-160 Le Cleac'h horns in which I have been running Lowther PM2A's. Martin also supplied me with a pair of AH-340's which I'm planning to use with Radian 500-20kHz compression drivers. I could also go to the WE-555 with the larger AH-160. I have adapters for these. I have augmented the bass from time to time with actively crossed subwoofers which seem to work just fine. Generally the bass from the Hoovers is completely satisfying. I use a passive 2nd order Butterworth crossover at 500Hz of my own design. I plan to move to 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley which I am moving to for all passive crossovers. I use tube amps and preamps, most of which I have constructed myself. The horn system I have described is 110dB/W/m. It develops very loud volume with a Decware Zen 2W amp. A 10W 300B really kicks. Bass energy, transient response, midrange clarity, female and male vocals, strings, horns and percussion are thrilling for all genres of music. My thanks to Bruce Edgar for a bundle of papers he sent me, his mentor Paul Voigt, and Bert Doppenberg, and Martin Seddon for months of discussion and friendship.

Reactions: 3 users
They are commercial, dukane/vitavox 2x5's with a native 2" throat (they have the same geometry adapters for 1" 3 bolt drivers and another for threaded drivers) the adapter has a 10 degree horizontal entrance and a 0 degree vertical entrance to a rectangular slot. I'm assuming the bms will be much better suited than my 2445 on the throat :D

Like this?
Dukane-Vitavox 10 Cell.jpg
649519409_large_ea4fd1768af44ad46f34e7629a4ea388.jpg
649519409_large_0fdb95849a1fcea53452e640b65a1579.jpg