Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I've always thought the pioneers put it rather distinctly regardless of size/BW, 'if you can see it move, it's distorting' and since the distance wasn't ever stated TTBOMK, I used the then Altec [USA?] published 4 ft on axis measurement standard.

obviously this has something to do with 4ft lol.....can you elaborate. How do I apply this? aim for desired spl at 4ft? if its moving/distorting add sd/raise hp/etc etc?

Can we see 1mm movement? lol!

Does my Dats output 1 watt How does a person give 1 watt? lol!

FWIW I have 10Hz to 20KHz through the same drivers and it is the best speaker I have heard or built and there is no breaking point due to IMD. I am sure if I measured IMD it would look terrible. If IMD was a significant factor this speaker would sound broken and it does not.

It makes good engineering sense to reduce it as much as possible without compromising anything else, but to focus on it as a significant issue flies in the face of a lot of perception research from reliable sources.

I think that Dr Geddes' point is that IMD is not audible under realistic conditions and to get to the point where it is actually considerable, other linear issues would have become much more crucial audibility wise. There is a paper with a top level approach (i.e. IMD correlated with blind tests audibility) where Dr Geddes supports the above claim.

On the other hand, there are numerous papers where IMD is approached with more fundamental, bottom-to-top approach physics wise (for a lack of a more accurate description) that claim that, IMD is indeed important. However, i have found none that shows correlation with audibility with carefully devised blind tests.

I think describing the midrange of a 5" driver as laughable is a bit overaggressive and elitist. I highly doubt that a renowned OEM builder like Strauss (pictured example) would gamble its reputation with a laughable speaker in his line.

I don't think he meant a single driver or the same multiple drivers. He is talking about a system. And just like him, I can go up to ear splitting (read dangerous) levels and do not detect nonlinearity. Its a little scary sometimes.

And I do agree that if you cannot see a cone moving then there is no way that distortion in the speaker is audible. On the other hand many drivers (not all of course) can have visible excursion and still not have audible nonlinearity.

Hi fluid, wow....10Hz to 20kHz, same drivers?
No offense, but at what undoubtedly small unrealistic SPL? ;)
I choose to listen at about 70 to 75dBc on a slow SPL meter at the listening position just under 3m from the speakers. They can go quite a lot louder but I can't. The bass is rolled off below 30Hz but there is still significant output down to single digits due to being sealed and close to the front wall. When I measure with REW I have to limit the sweep to start at 20Hz or the studs in the walls physically move the whole house. I loosened up the suspension by running 10Hz sine waves through them and that got the cones jumping. Each side has the equivalent Vd of a 12 to 15" woofer with 2.3mm of xmax.

I posted the information because they would not excel in IMD but they do very well for sound quality in room. But you are right that they are not for dB drag racing.

I have often thought that I could hear distortion on certain tracks and have always been wary about this due to how much EQ is being used. Every time I have found it to be a flaw in the track itself. I am always amazed how many digital overs have been allowed to make it through the production process.

No offense or with all due respect are my two favourite opposite meaning phrases ;)

I don't think he meant a single driver or the same multiple drivers. He is talking about a system.
It is 25 x 3.5" fullrange drivers per side in a floor to ceiling line array. Similar in concept to Roger Russell's IDS25. I do have 2 x 15" subwoofers to add in but that is more for having multiple bass sources (other than the multiple vertical positions) not because the SPL is too limited for me.

It is 25 x 3.5" fullrange drivers per side in a floor to ceiling line array. Similar in concept to Roger Russell's IDS25. I do have 2 x 15" subwoofers to add in but that is more for having multiple bass sources (other than the multiple vertical positions) not because the SPL is too limited for me.

cross them @300 Hz to a woofer unit a la Gryphon Pendragon et voilà - no problem with any practical SPL limit whatsoever or IMD or anything either

I have often thought that I could hear distortion on certain tracks and have always been wary about this due to how much EQ is being used. Every time I have found it to be a flaw in the track itself.

I have found this to be the case as well.

An interesting story: Trying to track down what I thought was a flaw in my speakers, I found that it was in fact clipping on the source signal. It was very limited, only a few times on the entire selection, but I heard it every time. Being only a few clipped samples, I wrote a simple program to interpolate back the clipped data. This resolved the issue that I heard. Thinking this was a nice trick that may have merit I sent out two selections to friends, one repaired and the other not and asked for their opinions of the differences. Most, if not the majority, preferred the clipped selection, sending my idea down the drain.

If it were a general all purpose tool I'd let you have it, but it was a custom code in MathCAD that only works with intensive user input.

That said, it would not be hard for some code to detect clipping and eliminate it using the same technique. The technique works best when there are only a few clipped samples. I have seen situations where there are a dozen or more clipped samples. This might get problematic for interpolation across such a long gap.

Note: This could not be done in real time because you have to rescale the entire song to allow for a larger signal swing.

I've seen tracks that almost look like square waves. And the bad thing is that it was done on purpose... ;)

amy.jpg

Amy Winehouse from the album: Back to Black. The song is Rehab.

It didn't sound all that good to me, so I took a peak... at the waveshapes.
But opinions do seem to vary: amy winehouse back to black - Gearslutz

(I would not expect anything to be able to repair that kind of deliberate introduced behavior)

Last edited:
So the more I figure out about spl the more possibilities I see....
attachment.php

especially If I copy this current max volume at driver, profile...(1" Tweet N 4" Mid)
looking at one of my test runs without horn
attachment.php

I assume waveguides provide no loading...I can run one from 400hz since I can also meet max loudness from 400hz on up with no waveguide lol....I could also probably use the the 350hz horn to cross at 200hz...breaking the horn rules of course...
attachment.php

How do you guys feel about a group delay bump at 332hz?

Attachments

• thingsome.jpg
    thingsome.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 413
  • something.jpg
    something.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 276
  • loudaaaa.jpg
    loudaaaa.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 267
Last edited: