Vertical WMTMW Centre Channel Concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a new centre channel with a vertical MTM array with flanking LF drivers, a la SpeakerDave's XA55cr. I like the idea of the even horizontal dispersion and the reduced floor/ceiling reflections of a vertical MTM, within the context of a centre channel.

snell-center.jpg

Some initial calculations/estimations seem to indicate that the horizontal and vertical responses I'd like (for my HT space) should be possible with an MT ctc spacing of ~70mm, and a XO frequency of 2k - 3k. LF would be crossed over around 300 - 500 Hz. I would be happy with solid bass response down to 60Hz.

I'd also like to hit 107 to 110 dB @ 1m @ P_rms.

After some searching, it seems that the Dayton RS100T-8 has the output capability and small form factor necessary, and would match nicely a pair of RS180-8s used as the LF drivers. The Fountek FR89EX seems like it might also be close. Other recommendations on drivers are welcome.

Two questions:

Are there any obvious reasons that the overall concept couldn't / shouldn't / wouldn't work? I'm ok with a challenge, but not something that's inherently going to be a dead end.

Based on a couple of standard box design tools the RS100-8 seems poorly suited to a sealed enclosure; does this apply when used in a midrange application? If not, what would be a good working midrange alignment for dual RS100-8 drivers in parallel with the best sensitivity?

Any and all thoughts, comments and criticisms welcomed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.