HiVi - DIY 2.2A (swan 2.1se) for nearfield???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Need some computer speakers. I've been looking at the Amazon.com: HiVi - DIY 2.2A – 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Kit - Braced Wooden Cabinet - Pair – Black – 2-Year Warranty: Home Audio & Theater

Everything I read says that these are absolutely the best speakers you can get for under $800.
buuuuuut everyone also says they are NOT for nearfield use!

What do you guys think???
Does the fact that they are simply amazing speakers outlook the fact that I will be using them nearfield???

or should I build something like the hitmakers studio monitors? Hitmaker MT Studio Monitor Speaker Kit with Knock-Down Cabinet

part of me also just wants to buy a set of B&W small bookshelf speakers like the 601 or 303 or lm1 and be done with it.....

Last edited:
Quite a distance between the woofer and tweeter. I'd guess I'd want to be at least 6-8 feet away. I'd want widerange single driver or smaller woofer and closer coupled tweeter for nearfield use.... Or even coaxial.

Thanks Jerms.....Thats what I was thinking. I didn't end up getting them.

I actually just found some Dayton Audio MK402 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair

open box for 47 bucks shipped :)

gonna try those out. If not I'll prolly order some B&W small bookshelfs with the front port, or possibly try some of those ELAC speakers on amazon. they are engineered by andrew jones apparently?? supposed to be some REALLY good sounding speakers.

Last edited:
Hard to tell. You should try for yourself. Elac specs are typically optimistic, and the nominal 6 ohms could be in fact 4 ohms. Waveguide is a nice feature. There is a rather nice kit at meniscus called Caritas, now out of stock, deploying a 6.5" SBA midwoofer and a Vifa tweeter, no waveguide though, probably a fuller sounding speaker on account of bass. If the Dayton Audio BR-1CAB were already not cnc'd for DA units, it would have been a happily made match for Caritas. 100 bucks full kit, 62 for the cabinets, not bad.

so I went down to the Magnolia at Bestbuy (the only place to listen to speakers anymore?) and listened to everything they had for like an hour. I went through Every speaker from Polk, Klipsch, Martin Logan, definitive technology, and the Elac and B&W speakers. Basicly every speaker (except for B&W)was sub par compared to my current setup ( a mutt of a bookshelf I put together with dayton drivers) The Elac speakers were insanely harsh and not impressive by any means. I guess thats what you get for a $300 already assembled bookshelf pair these days. Right now I'm looking at B&W 6 series on craigslist/facebook marketplace.

Either that or build some....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.