Satori TW29DN and Jantzen WG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the first mention of Satori dome I was interested in it. Here is measurement in Ghibli baffle, 2way with 12deg tilted baffle. Horizontal FRs 0-90degrees. Mic distance 80cm, gating 4.2ms.
As it fits Jantzen WG, I also measured this combo. It fits MW16P cutout in Ghibli baffle, for this measurement I tilted whole cabinet to achieve baffle tilt 0deg. The result is very usable, and raised top end can be managed by crossover, as shown in attachment, it is LR4 1500Hz.
WG mereni :: Pkaudio

Attachments

• TW29DN + JWg.png
    TW29DN + JWg.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 697
  • TW29DN.png
    TW29DN.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 695
  • TW29DN + JWg LR4 1500.png
    TW29DN + JWg LR4 1500.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 714
  • 20190202_143444.jpg
    20190202_143444.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Petrze, I'm trying similar things with Mark's Kravczenko KAXBL Neo tweeter. My suggestion, try the opening of the horn to be the same as midway of the suspension, so half of it is covered by the wave guide. This way you might have smoother freq resp and less peak- dip in 10-15kHz.
In my case with the surround being flashed the 3-4dB glitch around 12k almost disappeared.

Pliedtka, it is good idea, I know what you mean. Dave Pellegrene used that and it is also done on Dayton ND25FW. His waveguides had typical declining top end, and this might help to compensate elevated top end of TW29DN. Thinking of it, I could try it with my WG from SS6600 combination, as it has throat diameter ~40mm, and add adaptor partially covering the surround of tweeter.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Eaten away by insects !

My first guess is moth eggs or bookworms.

Strange how they would've got there.

These are on their way to Denmark for analysis. The replacements have already been shipped, no complaints about customer service of the SB team.

The second picture was only partially uploaded, here's a better one.

Attachments

• 20190829_125231.jpg
    20190829_125231.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
This happened to one of my tweeters though the hole was much smaller , just about noticeable. Happened while in storage . I hadn't used the speakers for at least 6 years. But I decided not to do anything about it and compared to the good speakers I did not notice any difference audibly. There were other silk dome tweeters around the same place but nothing happened to them. I have also seen paper cone woofers with these type of holes. Ones that came from Peerless India. They had a coating on the paper cone. Looks like the coating was attractive ! This was many years ago.
Had several other speakers stored in slightly humid conditions but they never had a problem. Maybe one must put a thin layer of insecticide on the domes !

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Had several other speakers stored in slightly humid conditions but they never had a problem.

Maybe one must put a thin layer of insecticide on the domes !

My shipment had a pair of SB26STCN domes which were fine. Earlier TW29RN shipment were also good. The new thing was a thin layer of cloth on top of the dome in the packaging. Never seen that before, maybe I'll send a shot of it when I get the new tweeters. All fabric material has the possibility of harboring living organisms. Maybe the QC wasn't so great on the packaging.

One shouldn't coat a dome with anything. It may react with the coating that's already there, or change the self-damping of the dome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.