Flumphy's 3-way build log and questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm back working on my custom 3-way speakers project and want to start with setting up a digital crossover and I could use some help with this step.
Next it will be cabinet building.

Drivers:
  • T: Dayton Audio ND28F-6
  • M: Vifa TC9-FD18/08
  • W: Dayton Audio DC200-8

For me all music and media will be played straight from the digital source (PC), I don't need to be able to attach any other source, so I'm looking to keep it quite simple.

Hardware:
  • PC
  • Xonar U7 (7.1)
  • Amplifier (7.1)
  • Custom 3-way speakers

Made a little graphic of the setup as well:
attachment.php

The PC based XO will need to work for music, movies, general PC system sound, browser, youtube and maybe games.

Software Idea #1:
  • Equalizer APO
  • Peace Interface for Equalizer APO
  • rePhase (?)
  • REW

I've been searching and it seems like there are tons of pieces of software to use to make your digital XO, which made me get a bit lost in everything and thus I have some questions:

- Is the 'Software Idea #1' a good setup or are there beter choices out there?

- Using a measuring mic, can this be directly done in Equalizer APO or not? I've read things about using REW, making the crossover in REW and then exporting that to Equalizer APO, is that the correct/best way to do it?

- Do I need rePhase additionally to Equalizer APO?

- Which piece of software will I best use for which action? Something like this (this is just example, could be totally wrong):

• -> Microphone measure in REW
  • -> let REW make automated corrections ? / manually adjust ? make filters/XO in REW?
  • -> import in rePhase
  • -> make filters/XO in rePhase ?
  • -> export rePhase and import in Equalizer APO ? or make filters/XO in Equalizer APO?

- I've also read that you can use JRiver, is it a lot better than the Equalizer APO setup? If I understand correctly when using JRiver it will only work with music and movies played in JRiver? If the audio is better I might start with Equalizer APO and then later on make a JRiver software setup as well. Also to keep the cost down a bit at first.

Sorry if it's a lot of questions for now, I wanted to avoid learning all about a piece of software and have it turn out that it's not what I should be using, so it would be greatly appreciated if I can be pointed in the right direction :)

Best regards,
F

Attachments

• Flow_chart-01.png
    Flow_chart-01.png
    22 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.