DIY speaker/Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I have spent the last month building and or rebuilding my stereo system of the '60s which has been stored in the attic for almost 30 years. It all started when I was bitten by the "vinyl bug". I was ecstatic to to find the 12" tri axial speakers looking like new when I removed them from their plastic bags. I was also heartbroken to discover the voice coils were firmly locked into place and totally corroded- scrapped. The power amp was next to go as I never liked it to begin with- built up new one 40+40 watt & great performance. The preamp controls were also frozen into place - totally rebuilt and updated- Keeper. The turntable needed dissembled cleaned and relubed. Surprisingly the belt was still in good shape- keeper. Cd player and FM tuner performed like the day I bought it-keeper. Purchased a quality set of head phones to monitor all these items as I went through them.
Now for the last piece of my system, the speakers and enclosures. I have a rather limited budget here of less than $500. I would like to DIY these from a tried and proven kit or complete plans. In order to keep cost down I will build the cabinets. I have the lumber, the machinery and the skills to build anything that comes my way. What I do not have is the knowledge of this sort of design. So the big question - are there any outlets or websites that still sell this stuff. Remember I will be doing the wood work to save money and shipping costs. Also remember that I need complete plans as to speakers, cross overs and cabinets. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

A fellow as enterprising as you should be able to answer this question himself. There is probably a post every week asking the same question here. Use the search feature.

Google is also pretty good at finding things for you. There are plenty of sources for plans, drivers, and complete kits at all price levels and degrees of difficulty. You should have zero difficulty locating more than one if you expend any effort at all.

Denovo Audio Tempest-12

Fusion-12 Tempest
* This kit ships for free *
$329.22 includes CNC cut front baffle. flat pack cabinet also available

The F-12 Tempest (also known as the Fusion-12) was designed for people that prefer a slightly laid back sound, but still crave that extra midbass punch. With the ability to reach 40hz with authority, many people use these for 2 channel stereo listening without a need for a subwoofer when playing their favorite music. For home theater use, their impressive midbass punch will allow them to blend seamlessly with even the largest of subwoofer set ups.

From the speaker designer: Designing a medium sized 2-way speaker that yields high sensitivity and near full range response is not an easy goal to meet. But the woofer we selected made it all work out much better than I expected, and I came away very surprised by the sound of this speaker. The combination of the Delta Pro-12A and the Denovo DNA-360 on a SEOS-12 waveguide yielded some of the flattest responses I have seen in a high efficiency design. The very linear response of each component allowed for an in-phase fourth order acoustic crossover at 1.3khz with a high sensitivity of 98db/2.83V/meter. The Tempest provides bass extension to 40hz with a little extra kick in the mid and upper bass range. On a lot of rock and full scale orchestra music the Tempest is a very satisfying and exciting loud speaker.

Note the Denovo is out of stock.

The MASSIVE EconoWave group development effort included a design for the Eminence DeltaPro 12A + SEOS-12 with the BC 250 1" compression driver.

Attachments

• EconoWave  DeltaPro 12A.JPG
    EconoWave DeltaPro 12A.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 274
I'm sure the Fusion speakers are terrific. You have a lot of choices but I would highly recommend at least considering the LX mini. It's close to your budget, designed by SL from a lifetime of dedication to audio, and praised by many. Friends and I have owned many fine systems some of them at buying a new car kind of prices and I have to say the time I've spent hearing the Lx mini's have been among the most enjoyable. No speaker is perfect but you'll never regret time spent with these. Just my two cents. LXmini Linkwitz Lab Speaker Kit, PAIR: Madisound Speaker Components

All I know is from hearing them at Burning Amp over the last several years. But go ahead ask anything you like. I'll just say they are on the very short list of speakers I have every intention of building and the ONLY speaker I intend to build that isn't one of my own ideas (I have two ideas I am going to build for myself but thats for another discussion)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.