Active speaker, need some advise !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys

Need some advise from you

I build some time ago (not finished yet) a 3 way speakers.
Crossover points at 300 Hz and 2500 Hz, active, Linkwitz Riley 24db/oct.
in charge of bass is a TL with 2 x B139 SP1044 KEF units, mid is a Tractrix horn with a FAITAL PRO M5N12-80 12 ohm, and for highs is another Tractrix horn with a BEYMA CP-385/nd 8 ohms
At that time I build 3 amplifiers to test the setup, in this case 3 DX Amps ( in fact they are very good).

So I have some question

Should i kept these crossover points ?
What is the best SS amplifier for this TL ?
For mid and highs I'm thinking in class A amplifiers like JLH1969 or ACA. i would like to know your opinion, because these horns are quit sensitive.

To moderators
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum but feel free to move it.

You should measure your speakers. Use software HolmImpolse.
Measurements are the best way to do well working corssovers.
Use measure microphone eg.: Behringer ECM8000. To home use it will be enough good.

Software is really easy to use and FREE. It is worth to try.

If you have some problems to change crossover parameters you can use Digital Crossover like
this : miniDSP Kits : miniDSP 2x4 kit
or : freeDSP - Google Docs ( freeDSP | An Open-Source Low-Budget Audio DSP )
In this case you can use software SigmaStudio to set crossover parameters.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on best xo for those drivers, but I can give you my experience with finding best xo points and amps with horns. The only practical way to find optimal xo points is to do it first digitally. Perhaps you are already doing that. I like the minidsp HD. Then play around for a few years with different slopes and eq and xo points. You need to measure it all first and along the way to know what you are doing to the response. I use rew and the UMIK. For amplification, on the bass driver you want plenty of power. I use adcom 555 bridged, but a fanless PA amp would be an option too. On my 110db horns by far the best amp I've tried is the 2watt zen triode. Although it is the only tube amp I've tried, it absolutely trounced the solid state amps I've tried. Stunningly superior. Good luck! Craig

Thanks Katakrowa and Cspieker

I should put more info on previous post, I have a measurement mic ECM8000 and I'm using ARTA. Measurements of the speaker are ok, except the mid section, highs are almost the same as published datasheet and bass is awesome.
The problem with the mid is I can't get a flush response from 300 Hz to 2500 Hz.
The mid Tractrix horn as a 50mm throat and a 720mm mouth. I improved the response around 2khz using a phase plug, but looks like I always get a dip around 2.5khz (I'm trying the impossible ? :confused:)
Now about the DSP, never try it because only want to use analogue crossover on it, maybe I can try some PC software to set the crossover points and feed my amplifiers to see what happens (any suggestions ?)
Another info is that I already tried several CD and speakers on these horns.
I will try to upload some measurements

Sorry for the lack of information :)

It would definitely be possible to use software to simulate xo and eq, but can be more complicated. In my experience, once you have the flexibility of dsp, it's advantages over analog are so great you may never look back. Your response dip for instance suddenly becomes a two minute fix. Just be sure to check off axis too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.