Speakers of today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
In a few words objectively same level of hi-fi and hi-end speakers today are much better than they were in 70s and 80s. However, for the price you might find top level models of speakers from 80s that would be better sounding than entry maybe even some mid level hi-fi of today. Keep in mind that audio is subjective to some point and one might prefer a sound of very poorly designed speakers from the past :).

In a few words objectively same level of hi-fi and hi-end speakers today are much better than they were in 70s and 80s. However, for the price you might find top level models of speakers from 80s that would be better sounding than entry maybe even some mid level hi-fi of today. Keep in mind that audio is subjective to some point and one might prefer a sound of very poorly designed speakers from the past :).
Thanks, I'm about 120 miles from Tulsa, OK. The place that's repairing my L100T woofer is there. The guy at that shop said there was still one shop in town for higher end stuff, I may run by there a take look. I hope these JBL's work out for my home theater. I do not care for soundbars so much or the least the ones I heard.

Thanks, I'm about 120 miles from Tulsa, OK. The place that's repairing my L100T woofer is there. The guy at that shop said there was still one shop in town for higher end stuff, I may run by there a take look.

If there is a shop that caters to musicians / DJs you might find they have some speakers that are just as good, for better prices.

JBL LSR308 Review
"With the low frequencies taken over by the subwoofers, the JBL's sound sublime"

To listen to new gear, I have started flying to Denver every year or two for RMAF. It is quite fun to hear everything. It also helps me calibrate my ears. It's very interesting the "house" sound of each brand is definitely distinctly different brand to brand. Lots of exceptional gear out there though, although I would say 80%-90% of what I hear is nothing special. Especially when compared to my rig....but I am biased. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.