Zero-Phase-Shift & Lineariser Soft & System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted a thread before about another zero-phase-shift & lineariser system here - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/326413-zero-phase-shift-meyer-system.html

But this goes further !

The HEDD Lineariser

With the HEDD Lineariser® plugin, we have created a unique solution for one of the most challenging problems in the history of loudspeaker designing: Linear Phase Response. What does it mean and why will your HEDD studio monitors sound better than ever?

Well, all loudspeakers regardless of size or construction cause phase errors. This means that not all frequencies leave the speaker at the exact same point in time. This has to do with physics: The fundamental relation between time and frequency is expressed by the so-called Fourier Transform, which explains that corrections in the frequency domain will inevitably alter the phase response – and vice versa. You can’t have both, linear frequency and phase response at the same time, at least not in an analog loudspeaker design.

The above said is true for complete speakers as well as for some of its ingredients. Think of a monitor as a complex network of different filters. The voice coils for an example are low pass filters in itself, and so is the volume of a cabinet. A tweeter sends out high frequency material significantly earlier than midrange and low frequency drivers – another source for phase problems. All these timely aberrations vary with frequency and together they build the phase response of the complete loudspeaker. Phase problems can make a speaker’s stereo image sound somewhat mushy and undefined.

A plugin to perfect your HEDD monitors in the time domain

The HEDD Lineariser® plugin makes FIR technology viable for HEDD’s present and future monitors, without forcing the loudspeaker into an additional AD/DA conversion (your signal will not be degraded). What is more, the HEDD Lineariser® is run by CPU power which nowadays exceeds any DSP when it comes to precisely calculating the audio signal during processing. During mixdown, recording, mastering or simply playback, the HEDD Lineariser® gives you the following choices:

When activating the HEDD Lineariser® in your DAW or as a standalone application, transients are reproduced in perfect accuracy and the spatial qualities are being increased. Acoustic recordings will impress with their natural and intriguing character.

The HEDD Lineariser(R) - Heinz Electrodynamic Designs

I've been trying it out in my everyday DAW Reaper, with the VST plugin. As my speakers seem to have "similar" offsets etc as their 05 model, switching it in/out is preferable as IN mode ! Obviously, it's only intended for their speakers, but it's very interesting to say the least, & a novel way of accomplishing it too !

Attachments

• HEDD.png
    HEDD.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 253
Being the guy who bugged the HEDD (and former ADAM) CEO for years to implement this, notably as a freeware DSP plugin, I'm pleased you like it. It is taylored to the specific models but when you have speakers with a similar phase response they might benefit as well. Note that there are also small frequency response corrections that might fit... or not.
PS. I'm not affiliated with either company, not anymore, that is.

@ KSTR

Well Thanx for getting HEDD to do it :)

As a VST plugin it's ideal ! Plus there is the standalone version for those that want to use their normal player/streamer etc etc.

I recommend that people try it, even if just out of curiosity.

On my PC with Reaper, i hardly notice any extra CPU usage. So that proves it's well thought out & effecient code :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.