How to pull out heavy driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How would you pull out a heavy driver from a speaker enclosure? I have a speaker with really heavy 12" driver. If I try to take it out with speaker standing, it may damage the veneer when slipping from its place. If the speaker is laying on its back, I don't know how to pull it out. What tool to use to take the driver out of the enclosure?

If you have someone to help put wooden board or any rigid material sheet across the driver covering it, and slowly flip the box, holding the cover firmly together with driver's enclosure. After that, just lift empty box and you will get driver unit lying calmly on the board. If you're alone and the box is big, you indeed have a problem. Maybe then bond said board to the box with duct tape?

When I had this problem with my XLS10 Peerless in 12 dm3 sealed boxes, I pulled them using sine bursts and internal pressure caused them to jump-out in well-predicted manner. It will not work with weak drivers in large (vented) boxes.

Last edited:
If the bolts are long enough (>10mm of extra length) you might be able to loosen them enough that the driver can be walked forward and the edge of the driver frame can be exposed without the driver falling down and damaging the edge of the baffle. Then you can support the weight by the edge of the frame, remove the bolts completely and take it out.

If you can remove the terminal cup or port to gain access inside the box, you might be able to place the box driver-side-up and push the driver out from the rear.

Failing that, you can remove just a few of the bolts and drill/tap the holes in the driver frame to accept oversize bolts i.e. if M4 bolts mount the driver, drill/tap the frame for M5 or M6. Then you can place the box driver-side-up, and lift out the driver from the box by attaching it to scrap piece of wood with the over size bolts.

Last edited:
Unwind top two and bottom two bolts. Find longer ones and use them instead. Wind them in with a 1-2 centimeters sticking out. Unwind all other bolts leaving those 4 in place. Slowly tilt the cabinet toward its front side and the subwoofer should slip forward out of the hole without damaging the finish. You can then put some plastic or fabric between the basket and the cabinet and turn the speaker on its back to unwind that 4 longer bolts and remove the sub.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.