Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

the "SPIEKER" my almost 20 year prototype finally done
the "SPIEKER" my almost 20 year prototype finally done
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2018, 11:09 PM   #1
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default the "SPIEKER" my almost 20 year prototype finally done

I'll be surprised if posting images works on my first try, but here we go:

Click the image to open in full size.

I've been working on this forever! and it's finally cosmetically "put together". It is a 2 way with a radian 475 in a 375 hz tractrix (the first few inches are actually a 6 degree conical to match the exit angle of the radian, then tractrix after that). Horn is cast in a mold from plaster, so I can easily cast duplicates. It is thick and heavy. Mated to a 12" dayton hf crossed at 500hz. The enclosure is ported, but i prefer to plug the ports with sewer plugs and run it sealed.

measures well, with woofer, equalized at listening position but measured at 1 meter in room:

tweeter/horn only unequalized, horizontal polar response

tweeter/horn only csd in room, floor reflection shows up early but it is very clean up to that:

The directivity falls quickly at 700hz, could be smoother there, but that also means that the directivity matches the woofer by 500hz. Polar response could be smoother, but a 2 way that plays 20-20k at insane levels with a SET from 500hz up, and huge solid state power below that has been a nice solution.

I've been to several RMAF shows and have heard a lot of gear over the years. I have not heard anything that can better this setup (partnered with a SET) when it comes to voices. They are haunting. Raising the crossover frequency destroys the charm. Resolution and imaging are also top notch.

It does require equalization, I use a minidsp 2x4hd with 48db/octave LR. I am of the opinion that the advantages of using a high resolution dsp far outweigh the disadvantage of the A to D, D to A conversion. Please chime in with any advice. Thanks, Craig Spieker

my last name is german, it's pronounced "speaker"
Old 14th December 2018, 11:31 PM   #2
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, cant see the first picture
Old 14th December 2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi! I can't open the three 'click the image to open in full size' boxes.
Old 15th December 2018, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Weird, they show up when I visit the page on my devices. They are urls copied from Google photos. Can anyone help?
Old 15th December 2018, 12:36 AM   #5
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I use 'Save Image As. . .' and then attach the image using the paperclip symbol in the 'Go Advanced' box. There are other ways, but I haven't mastered them yet!
Old 15th December 2018, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks! we'll give this a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr and distortion.jpg (194.5 KB, 999 views)
File Type: jpg horn only off axis horizontal 24th smoothing.jpg (299.9 KB, 474 views)
File Type: png in room near field csd horn only.png (403.8 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg spieker 2.JPG (374.5 KB, 1047 views)

Last edited by cspieker; 15th December 2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: trying to fix rotated photo
Old 15th December 2018, 01:49 AM   #7
DaveG is offline DaveG  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking speaker.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Excellent looks and finish, congratulations!

It must be fine for pop/rock and for those hifi'sts that want to localize every sound and click! I have heard many horn speakers that are too directive to my taste, but I represent minority here! Your speaker isn't an extrem case however. You get a glittering fairy sticker for running it sealed!
Old 15th December 2018, 01:39 PM   #9
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

The RSS subwoofers have only been out about 13 years now. Still- that has taken you awhile and appears to have been worth the effort!
Looks good!
Wolf
Old 15th December 2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Congratulations! I think yours has taken even longer than the not-yet-existent "Beyond the Ariel," although I would wager that thread still holds the record for oldest, longest thread here

the "SPIEKER" my almost 20 year prototype finally doneHide this!Advertise here!