What (if anything) is wrong with this woofer arrangement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a big fan of the high end Technics speakers of the late 70's and JBL's so naturally these came up on my radar. What has me bugging y'all is that I wonder about the arrangement of these woofers. It looks an interesting way to mount four drivers.

I know with MTMs and the like that lobing and such can be problematic. Would that be a non issue because of the frequency these are crossed at? Or is it an issue and the reason why we don't see this anymore?

Attachments

• 1385855-wanted-vintage-technics-sb9500-speakers-stereo-loudspeakers.jpg
    1385855-wanted-vintage-technics-sb9500-speakers-stereo-loudspeakers.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 249
center to center distance will limit how high you can reach with the arrangement
given they're 15" and there is around 2" between driver, that mean 17" distance

roughly 260hz shall be your upper limit. (1/3)

I'm actually going from dual 15" to quad 15" myself.

In 5-6 weeks, I shall be able to post measurement.
Keep looking at my site below for update.

Oh wow... I tried to find info on them, interesting that they are .5 woofers on bottom. Its cool all the non conventional ways one can arrange drivers on a baffle. Am thinking about using a quad of 8" drivers for a speaker and the thought crossed my mind when reading someone else had done it and liked it. They never mentioned how whether they all played same though. I'll have to track them down and find out.

The SB6000a speakers from Technics I used to own were pretty awesome for what they were and can't help but think the quality is only maintained or increased up the line. No doubt the designers knew what they were doing when it came to the layout etc.

My version will have diamond pattern as well
93def32c3e84108d5e856f47c2b97257.webp

Having 4 or 2 woofer still create the C-t-C distance upper limit frequency (or live with a high Q dip)
To avoid the dip, only one shall play above ~250hz

Since I"m active, I'll be able to play the top one as independent (50-500) and the bottom 3 as 50-250hz.

More to come.

JBL Everest 66000 (double 15" side by side) use one driver fully and the 2nd one is a helper below 250hz...

My current dual 15" is toed-in (both driver 50-500hz)
the toe in minimize the dip but the dip is still present.

I've started with single 15" and going dual was a significant subjective upgrade (DYNAMICS). Hope the quad 15" will prove as beneficial... If not, mid-bass horn it will be

YMMV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.