Level control for tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
A very technical question.

I have a SB acoustics 4ohm tweeter that I have calculated needs a 14db attenuation resistor network, however, I would like to put also a Level control for the tweeter. For example this one Monacor LP 100-8. The manual says 8 ohms +/- 25%. Then how can I calculate the attenuation in this case and how would I wire the Level control in the tweeter - L pad network?

Thanks
August

It appears that you intend to attenuate the tweeter with the two fixed resistors then provide extra control of the attenuation with the Monacor LP-100-8 L-pad attenuator. That is an unusual requirement.

Firstly, the LP-100-8 is only rated at 15W and I would recommend using the AT-62 rated at 100W. This should be able to do all the attenuation you need on its own without fear of overheating. It is wired as shown in the attachment.

MONACOR - Products - AT-62H

Attachments

• L-pad connections.png
    L-pad connections.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 189
OK I'm starting to see the problem here and why people use active crossovers - to input 35w power into kickbass speaker that should have a 10db attenuation to match the sub - the resistors should be 200W 5,47 ohms and 60W 3,7ohms. That is insane but thats what the calculator shows.

Thanks for the answers

OK I'm starting to see the problem here and why people use active crossovers...
Makes no sense today not to have a DSP (Behringer DCX2496 does everything) and bi-amping. No sense at all. If you don't have a spare amp sitting around, go to the Salvation Army store and look for an amp for your tweeters.

Then get an inexpensive condenser mic, REW..... and then dial-in great sound.

B.

Drivers are Lab12c, the box 12 280 8 w, SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4. Cross frequencies are 62Hz, 1800Hz. Sensitivity 82db, 93, 92 - so maybe less attenuation for tweeter but still its 10db for the woofer. Lab 12 takes 300 watts, the box - 35watts, tweeter about 18 max.

I allready have a dsp and amps. The project was to build a passive crossover, but I am still in learning process, so its normal that I make a few mistakes making concepts.

The sensitivity of the LAB 12C is 89dB!

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/LAB_12C.pdf

That depends on the enclosure.

Makes no sense today not to have a DSP (Behringer DCX2496 does everything) and bi-amping. No sense at all. If you don't have a spare amp sitting around, go to the Salvation Army store and look for an amp for your tweeters.

Then get an inexpensive condenser mic, REW..... and then dial-in great sound.

B.

I have chosen to use a dsp and seperate amp for the subwoofer, that solves the problem. Also then I can EQ the tweeter if needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.