Best OB woofer up to 600 Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
$0.02 worth.

OK, time to chime in.... The initial question has no answer as presented. "Best" much like beauty, is defined by the beholder. One must be very specific in moving toward a reasonable conclusion. One could ask questions all day in an effort to better define "best".

A few of the usual questions include cost, required acoustic output, dimensional restrictions (if any), level of complexity limitations, the ability of the builder, to well, build, measure and make solid engineering decisions. It goes on and on and on!

I am reminded of a line I heard astronaut Gordon Cooper throw out during a presentation I attended long ago. Paraphrasing, "If you have enough time and money, you can go to the moon!" But once you set limits on those two items, it comes down to deciding, defining "what" is the "best" way.

Martin Kings work is professional, simple and to the point, showing his vision of building a simple OB. For me, the "best" (there I go, using that same word!) and most comprehensive body of work, published and demonstrated concerning open box speaker designs were produced by the late Seigfried Linkwitz. Much of the knowledge he produced resides for free at his Linkwitz Lab site.

AE Dipole 15

Some years ago I built a dipole system using 8 AE Dipole 15 drivers. These are the original ones made by Nick McKinny. In fact they are signed by him on the back. Here is an outdoor ground plane measurement on 17.5" baffle. I use one of the DP15 on each side up to 400hz. The other three are limited to 150 hz.

Attachments

• The_Wall_1072p.jpg
    The_Wall_1072p.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 441
  • DP15_17.5_baffle_ground_plane.PNG
    DP15_17.5_baffle_ground_plane.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 438
  • The_Wall.PNG
    The_Wall.PNG
    37.1 KB · Views: 421
Some years ago I built a dipole system using 8 AE Dipole 15 drivers. These are the original ones made by Nick McKinny. In fact they are signed by him on the back. Here is an outdoor ground plane measurement on 17.5" baffle. I use one of the DP15 on each side up to 400hz. The other three are limited to 150 hz.
That looks freaking amazing. My friends think that 2 x 15" woofer per side is overkill. But 4 - that is brilliant. But WAF must be something less than zero??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
2X15" per side is certainly not overkill on OB. At least not if you want it to sound life-size. One 18" per side also works well. I'm currently using one 21" woofer per side and it's just enough. The baffles are pretty ridiculous, tho. :)

Well, of course the main difference from box speakers is in the bass. This cuts the room interaction in half. There is more definition in the bass and less resonance. We are all used to hearing bass inside a room and some people will not like dipole bass. The second thing that may be more important is the resonance free midrange that you get without the box.

Let me know if this is off topic but with full on OB bass I find I miss that slam you get from sealed/vented bass. I don't have enough room behind my speakers for midrange OB so I have sealed from about 90hz on up. I rolled off my sealed mains low Q below 90hz. OB bass below that. Depending on where you roll off the mains you can add or subtrack that slam. Too much slam and I don't like it as much, it overloads my room, not enough and I miss that little bit of impact. Using the GW-1858.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.