Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source Monkey Box
Open Source Monkey Box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2020, 12:24 PM   #1031
gbowling is offline gbowling  United States
diyAudio Member

Patrick (pfarrell), I checked out your studio site, very nice work there man!

Please keep us updated on where you're sourcing XO parts. For what it's worth, I purchased the Volt mids from Falcon in the UK.

Volt VM752 3” Dome Midrange Driver

Pricing wasn't anything special, but they were very nice to deal with, responding to emails and questions in a timely manner.

gabo
Old 7th May 2020, 02:09 PM   #1032
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbowling View Post
Patrick (pfarrell), I checked out your studio site, very nice work there man!
Hey Thanks! ...that site needs an update! We've been too busy...

Volt said to buy from Solen! Closest distributor to USA. If they don't have them, then one could order direct—but there's an 8 week lead time since they would have to be made.

The Estonians continue to impress both with communication and pricing for USA. Under $6 for 2 bass ports—also free shipping via UPS. That's impressive.
Old 7th May 2020, 02:58 PM   #1033
bsk is offline bsk  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Got the Volts via Solen.
Erse for the inductors.
Parts-Connexion for most of the caps and resistors.
Speaker Hardware for the woofers.
SoundImports.nl for the tweeters and the ports.

I am still trying to find the foam without having to buy over $300 worth. Happy to split with folks in the US.

BTW, I ordered some other things (not related to these speakers) from the EU and shipping is a real problem with the virus. Been waiting over 8 weeks and still not here.
Old 7th May 2020, 04:00 PM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Thanks bsk, I'll check out erse, haven't been there yet. Haven't looked at the foam, but I recall somewhere back in the thread about alternatives. $300 is too much for foam.

I just filled out a shipping cart on the estonia site (audiohobby.eu) for the XO's.. $704.22! That's just for the components, no boards/boxes/connectors/wire. But you do get free shipping. I missed whether it comes with a free car

gabo
Old 7th May 2020, 04:27 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
I didn't know about Erse either.

The Estonian's have the best price I've found on the tweeters too—they will ship UPS, so there's a chance it could get to the US in a reasonable timeframe. Most if not all of the Mundorf MKPs are beyond my willingne$$ at the moment... Audyn or Dayton is way more reasonable—leaves some stuff to play with later! Mundorf electrolytics are cheaper from parts-connexion—slightly.

Could one use film throughout?

We could all split a foam order? Extra cost for re-shipping I suppose... but.... $300 would be 18 24x24" sheets—seems like enough for 3 pairs of boxes? I haven't done the math yet.
(I did look at shipping and if we want to do a 3-way split whomever lives closer to CA should place the order—$84 for shipping plus tax to NY! $60 is the minimum.)

Last edited by pfarrell; 7th May 2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 07:25 PM   #1036
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
Most if not all of the Mundorf MKPs are beyond my willingne$$ at the moment... Audyn or Dayton is way more reasonable
Really? I thought the Mundorf MCAP are quite cost effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
Could one use film throughout?
Sure, nothing wrong with that. Except maybe you're spending a lot of money that you could use more effectively on better parts elsewhere.

Foam: I bought it from ebay ( Pyramidenschaumstoff Basotect 5 cm selbstklebend | eBay ). I don't know if they ship to the US, but I don't see why they wouldn't do that.
Old 7th May 2020, 07:40 PM   #1037
Hicoco is offline Hicoco  France
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post

Foam: I bought it from ebay ( Pyramidenschaumstoff Basotect 5 cm selbstklebend | eBay ). I don't know if they ship to the US, but I don't see why they wouldn't do that.
look here:
Old 7th May 2020, 09:11 PM   #1038
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
@Hicoco: Thanks for the source!

@mbrennwa: It's really the higher values... they are generally twice the cost of Audyn or Dayton—and I have no idea what, if any, audible differences there may be. I guess it's "known" that the more $$ Mundorfs do impart "flavor"—also per your own tests. My question about film throughout was just for my own noob knowledge base—I wasn't sure what the reasons might be for using one over the other—It sounds like cost is the reason?

I'll look into the Ebay source—I think you gave the link in a earlier post too—so thanks again!
Old 8th May 2020, 01:22 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
... Guy who has the melamine foam on Ebay won't ship to US, nor will the Spanish source that was posted.... just reporting...

I am curious about what cable to source for making speakON interconnects (found a 6 conductor "tray" cable 18AWG?). I'm thinking that I will use "regular" bananas between amp and X-over box, then speakON between speaker and X-over.
?

Last edited by pfarrell; 8th May 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 8th May 2020, 02:01 PM   #1040
diyAudio Member

Maybe use acoustic cotton instead of the melamine foam. ~$35

Echo Absorber Acoustic Panel (Natural Blend - 2"x2'x4') - Soundproof Cow

The right kind of fiberglass would also work, but it's a bit messy to deal with.

gabo

Open Source Monkey BoxHide this!Advertise here!