Purchasing troel's scanspeak 3way crossover info only?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've no connection whatsoever with Jantzen, but they make money on crossover parts, so selling the crossover plan alone doesn't make any economical sense to them. So I wouldn't expect them to sell only the crossover plan. If you want that speaker, buy the kit without drivers, there are the drivers that will kill you on shipping cost.
As an alternative, build the "old" classic 3-way with Seas drivers, the crossover plan is public. I really dislike the stepped baffle approach used by Troels on almost all his later designs.

Ralf

It isn't because it is a heavy source of diffraction. The FR graphs that Troels show about the effect are not conclusive as they are only on axis. Those new designs are great against a lot of the rubbish published by people who use online crossover calculators or even crossover simulators without really understanding what they are doing. Still I think that some of his older designs are not worse or even better than the newer.

Ralf

why do you not like the stepped baffle? seems like a good idea
Yep, seems like a good idea but the reality is different. If you want a graphic demonstration of why it doesn't really matter, create a file in Audacity with a stereo signal at a fixed frequency, say 3kHz, and play it while moving your head slightly. Even small movements of the head create nulls.

Isn't 3KHz one of those frequencies that the human ear can't pickup where it's actually located from??
I have built the SB Acoustics version of the 3 way classic, and all I can say is that the sound is clean, crystal clear and detailed. I've measured the response in my listening room with REW and it's pretty flat. I have a pair of 2.5 way towers as well with a non stepped baffle and they don't sound as clean.

Last edited:
Isn't 3KHz one of those frequencies that the human ear can't pickup where it's actually located from??
No, that part of the spectrum is low bass, which is why subwoofers can be located with less care.
I have built the SB Acoustics version of the 3 way classic, and all I can say is that the sound is clean, crystal clear and detailed. I've measured the response in my listening room with REW and it's pretty flat. I have a pair of 2.5 way towers as well with a non stepped baffle and they don't sound as clean.
Are you not comparing apples and oranges?

No, that part of the spectrum is low bass, which is why subwoofers can be located with less care.

I get that. Long wavelengths, hard to pinpoint as they fill the room.

Are you not comparing apples and oranges?

All I can say is that the diffraction that's caused by the stepped baffle is no worse than on a standard baffle. There's always some amount of diffraction no matter what, all comes down to baffle dimensions and driver location as to where in the frequency range these occur and their amplitude. At least the stepped baffle is time aligned which makes the crossover design less complicated. It's all about making compromises somewhere.

Reality isn't listening to sine waves, try listening to music instead. The stepped baffle compensates for acoustic offset differences between drivers and aligns inter-driver phase in the crossover region. Alternatives for passive crossovers are asymmetrical slopes or all pass networks. Both can be problematic and I consider the stepped baffle as a valid solution. For active crossovers a simple time delay solves the problem.

Yep, seems like a good idea but the reality is different. If you want a graphic demonstration of why it doesn't really matter, create a file in Audacity with a stereo signal at a fixed frequency, say 3kHz, and play it while moving your head slightly. Even small movements of the head create nulls.

The stepped baffle compensates for acoustic offset differences between drivers and aligns inter-driver phase in the crossover region. I consider the stepped baffle as a valid solution.

Troels Conclusion: "The rounded baffle chamfered 45 deg. leaves only a little footprint on tweeter performance, we only need to find optimum distance to center of tweeter. "

Attachments

• rounded baffle chamfered.jpg
    rounded baffle chamfered.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 255
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 255
Going back to the OP's original question...I have built the ScanSpeak 3-way discovery and I don't think you can purchase just the plans. I have asked the same question from Jantzen before. I ended up buying the cheapest kit without the drivers.

Im looking to build this speaker here and being in korea half the globe away, the shipping will kill my budget when i can just source the components locally. Would it be possible to just get the crossover info only? Ive emailed jantzen with no reply yet.

ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

Reality isn't listening to sine waves, try listening to music instead. The stepped baffle compensates for acoustic offset differences between drivers and aligns inter-driver phase in the crossover region. Alternatives for passive crossovers are asymmetrical slopes or all pass networks. Both can be problematic and I consider the stepped baffle as a valid solution. For active crossovers a simple time delay solves the problem.
I used the example of a sine wave to demonstrate how little 'time alignment' matters, but I'm sure you realised that before making your somewhat pointless post.

I found that purchasing complete kit with drivers from Jantzen (shipped from Poland) was comparable in price to sourcing those same parts locally from retail suppliers. Jantzen discounts their parts pretty well when purchased direct. I am similar distance from Poland as you, but that doesn't mean shipping or tariff costs will be similar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.