Wing Acoustics a new revolution?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was referring to the motor.

A loudspeaker always consists of a surface that makes sound waves by compressing and decompressing the air. But some motor is required to move that said surface. The hard drive arm does not move on its own. Nor does Wing's paddle. Nor the circular cone of a regular woofer. A motor moves each of them. A motor turns an electrical signal to motion. For regular loudspeakers that motor motion is linear (along a line). For Wing and Cyclone that motion is rotary.

Thank you! You inspired my next project which will be a "revolutionary" washing machine with a linear motion agitator. This will be the first significant development after 100 years of washing clothes. No more wrinkles. Zero. You won't even need to iron afterwards. Angel investors will invest, we will secure some venture capital and we will soon take this public. I cordially invite you to our executive team and we will get rich quick in no time. :D

Thank you! You inspired my next project which will be a "revolutionary" washing machine with a linear motion agitator. This will be the first significant development after 100 years of washing clothes.

Well... there actually are linear motion models that use a manual agitator.

Attachments

• Glass_washboard.jpg
    Glass_washboard.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 224
Does anyone know about there directivity? Zero resonance? Is there no enclosure? If you hit it it doesn't make any sound? Efficiency? Impedance? And probably other basic speaker parameters I can't see anywhere. Missing info always makes me wonder: "must be bad if there hiding it".

Vaguely reminds me of Danley's rotary patent:
Actually looks much more like his full range rotary patent US5317642A (attached).
I believe the Quantum Sound Focus Field (FF2860A) was based on those ideas.

“…by its inherent nature, the rotating radiator in the Focus Field System is not high-frequency limited by increasing size, it can be made very large without any change in the high frequency cutoff or output. This permits the unique crossover-less configuration…”

A related rotary transducer patent also attached.
Fig. 20 = rotary Synergy?

Attachments

• Danley_Rotary_US5317642A.pdf
    641.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Quantum_Sound_Focus_Field_Brochure.pdf
    749.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Rotary_Horn_US8085955.pdf
    406.9 KB · Views: 71
So the mouth of this driver is perhaps 4 or 5 inches wide (a guesstimate based on the pics) and they claim 'resonance free' operation from 150Hz to 18kHz?

Directivity will be hopeless at 18kHz, physics says the radiating area is too big. Assuming they have achieved some kind of controlled dispersion (doubtful), lets optimistically say it is useful to 3 or 4kHz.

Many 5 or 6" cone speakers can claim to be 'resonance free' from 150Hz to 3 or 4kHz. Resonances only occur at Fs (which can be as low as 25-30Hz), where there is cone breakup and where there is a design flaw in the spider or surround.
A metal cone driver with low Fs and no surround or spider resonance issues therefore satisfies this criteria. Furthermore, regular dynamic cone/domed speakers are mature in terms of frequency response, load impedance, non-linear distortion, sensitivity, reliability and robustness, manufacturing cost. This design has not been proven for any of those criteria.

Directivity will be hopeless at 18kHz, physics says the radiating area is too big. Assuming they have achieved some kind of controlled dispersion (doubtful), lets optimistically say it is useful to 3 or 4kHz.

In an open-back headphone application, dispersion doesn't matter and in their speaker application a conventional tweeter takes over (2kHz).

Bear in mind the audio transducer market is gradually shrinking to the headphone market. Headphones are going to make or break this as a business venture.

The Phoenix Cyclone is Danley's only foray into car audio. It was licensed by Phoenix Gold.

The Lambda Unity Horn is Danley's only foray into home audio. It was licensed by Nick McKinney at Lambda Acoustics. (RIP)

Yes, I'm aware of these and was in discussion with Nick about getting kits to offer my own complete speaker when it all started unraveling :(, so that was that as I didn't want to make the horn body and a couple of local quotes were ~ the whole kit price!

Well, I believe the Contrabass kit offered to the basslist folks ~qualifies as a home audio entry [ditto the DTS10 kit]. I built/sold a pair and still have a kit pair + motors that I originally held on to for a stillborn HT and now basically only worth what the 18" PRs might go for, so still planning to use them and if not then, they'll become my estate's problem.

Didn't know about Nick's passing though, bummer! Thought he was still at AE. Google returned nothing other than the dead link on the 'In Memoriam' thread, so what did him in? IRC he was a lot younger than me.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.