Connector Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Everyone.

What do you use to connect your speaker wire to a terminal like this?

IMG_0405.JPG

When using things like expensive cable and spades, how can one justify just using basic hardware store tin connectors? Is there another way that’s better suited for a high fi application?

... Why would you use expensive cables?

I usually solder the terminals, but sometimes use those crimp connectors, only solder the connector to the wire instead of crimping it, solder vs crimping the connectors does not have any impact at all, I just like doing it/personal preference.

Just thinking out loud. I think 10 bucks for spades is expensive and 10cents for the terminals crimp things isn’t. I’m just surprised no company has offered gold plated ones like Cardas or something.

Really the only benefit to having gold plated terminals is for corrosion protection. You would need both sides of the connector (male and female) to be plated or you'll end up with galvanic corrosion from the dissimilar metals (tin to gold).

A lot of speakers just come with the bog standard tin connectors so you'd need to change those out.

You could bypass the terminals and connect directly to the speaker wires or go the time-honoured route of just using tin connectors.

Personally I crimp the terminal to the wire and then flow some solder in there to make a good mechanical and electrical connection. I make sure the female terminal is nice and tight when it goes on and happy days.

Last edited:
Maybe just motorcyclist urban legend, but I read that crimping makes a better connection than the complicated chemical connection of soldering. Likewise if you think about it, the crimp-on connector also makes a tight connection when it grabs the pin.

I'd just buy a cheap tool and live happily ever after.

Remember there were two sizes used on drivers. Measure first. But the same tool works for both.

B.

It's a good trick I learned from an electrician to double the bare connecting wire back on itself before crimping. Particularly when the wire is not too thick. It than grips the wire better and gives you double the connection area if you think about it.

533929d1456488927-mission-770-crossover-monitoraudio-r300-md-jpg

Crimps connectors seem to work reliably enough. It certainly makes disassembly and modification easier. Shame there is no real standard on speaker connection size, though big is obviously better.

Last edited:
I do not think there is a huge difference, but crimping and then soldering like some of us do here would surely be adequate.

At a job I had some years ago we fused 3mm thick copper foil to 3cm thick copper bars. Apply enough pressure and the metal will melt together, doubt you can achieve the same pressure by means of some small pliers.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe just motorcyclist urban legend, but I read that crimping makes a better connection than the complicated chemical connection of soldering.

Not urban legend for automotive applications, but not quite the reason either. The reason for crimping over soldering is durability.

There is a lot of vibration in an auto environment and over time a soldered connection will fatigue and break because of it's solid nature. A crimped connection however remains flexible and doesn't suffer the same fate.

I didn't heed this (because I didn't have a decent crimp tool) and soldered a connection on a plug I replaced, it lasted maybe three years before the solder joint snapped in half. I bought a decent crimp tool after that!

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
True, but I've never had a soldered connection inside a speaker break in 30+ years :)

edit: though I have seen a a crimp connector break presumably from fatigue (aluminium I think, in some 70's pioneer three ways) edit2: line down side of connector shows where it was cracked.

Tony.

Attachments

• pioneer.jpg
    pioneer.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.