MB Acoustics DE250-P Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone has sampled one of these:

MB ACOUSTICS DE250-P-8 1" Polyimide Horn Driver 8 Ohm 700W

s-l1600.jpg

I have a SEOS 12 and I'm super keen to build some of the great DIY designs based on these wave guides and the B&C DE250 or one of the many clones such as the Dayton, Denovo etc.

I've not found a source of the original B&C DE250 in Australia and these look nice - just no frequency plots available. Usually postage to Aus is a killer - these have free postage!

Any help appreciated.

I really like your project. The lf drivers are super nice. Good choice. I'm am getting today the mic and guide from parts express and the driver from a local Florida vendor. Never have done plots so I am still kind of loss.

I found a chart on another manufacturer of the driver.
20140522094308591.png

Driver looks good and cames with a screw adapter. Driver is ligther, amd has reduced heigth and diameter, so it is not made with the same toiling as the original. This by itself does nkt mean anything as other good clones like the prv and the celestion have different measuraments.

Measurement results on a SEOS-12

So I jumped in and purchased two of these CD's.

I'm sorry to say the two units I received were, to me, unserviceable.

First some pics of the first unit taken when the seller suggested I reseat the diaphragm.

The machining quality is not great. Looks like the holes in the top plate have been done by hand on a drill press.

The rear cover seat edge isn't well finished, and the defects were not treated prior to painting.

And check out the defect in the phase plug.

Measurements to come in the next post....

Attachments

• Phase 1.jpg
    Phase 1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 90
  • dia 5.jpg
    dia 5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 93
  • dia 4.jpg
    dia 4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 91
  • dia 2.jpg
    dia 2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 91
  • dia 1.jpg
    dia 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Cover 1.jpg
    Cover 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Phase 2.jpg
    Phase 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 338
  • dia.jpg
    dia.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Phase 3.jpg
    Phase 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 108
MB DE250-P on SEOS-12

Here are my measurements, using Omnimic @ 1m with between 3 and 5 ms gating.

For comparison I include the MB measurements both raw, without any crossover, and on my home made crossover for the CDX1 with the Faital Pro 12PR300 for an Econowave inspired build.

The CDX1-1745 is a thing of beauty to me. It is a precision made instrument and sounds like cream.

Don't think I'm being too harsh on the measured performance of the MB here. The picture of the frequency response on the box looks nothing like how these two measured! See image in post #8 for a picture of this plot.

I have to say however that that service from Ramiro at TMC was first rate. He gave me a full refund, including shipping cost, and was polite and prompt with all his communications. :)

Hoping mine were just a bad batch?

Attachments

• MB unit one after reseat.png
    MB unit one after reseat.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DE-250 Unit 1&2 on SEOS crossover.png
    DE-250 Unit 1&2 on SEOS crossover.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 119
  • CDX1 vs DE-250 Unit 1&2 on SEOS crossover.png
    CDX1 vs DE-250 Unit 1&2 on SEOS crossover.png
    11 KB · Views: 122
  • CDX1 vs DE-250 on SEOS crossover.png
    CDX1 vs DE-250 on SEOS crossover.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 154
  • CDX1 vs DE-250 on SEOS bass removed.png
    CDX1 vs DE-250 on SEOS bass removed.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Measure.jpg
    Measure.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Measure 1.jpg
    Measure 1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Seos.jpg
    Seos.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 113
  • CDX1 v MB.jpg
    CDX1 v MB.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
My measurement

Confirm prior data, definitely not good clones. Not recommended

Same measurements at 10 and 50 cm. Using different smoothing ( 1/6 and 1/12 of octave). The horn is a Pyle PH612 used with the included adapter and no crossover no eq (just started the sweep about 700 Hz).

I have the QSC 14" replica by B52. Will be testing and uploading soon.

mb250.jpg

mb250-1-12.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.