3 way Monitor build 15 or 18" Bass, 8" mid and top class Seas or Scan Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3 way Monitor build 15 or 18" Bass, 8" mid and top class Seas or Scan Tweeter

Looking at my next design, a large 3 way passive Studio Monitoring system which is influenced loosely by the Harbeth Monitor 40.2.

Like the 40.2, I have always has good results using 8" units as midranges, as vocal quality can be excellent with the right drivers.

Target system sensitivity will be around 92-93 d/bw

For the bass 15" Audio Technology or even an older 18" JBL 2245H bass drivers are under consideration, these are both between 93-95 d/bw but this can be adjusted in the crossover, I have four of the 2245s.

However I am more likely go with the 15" AT unit. Here

The 8" AT unit has better sensitivity than many. Here is the spec. This would work well in the design.

It has an excellent reputation and would mean that I could have the option to design a pure three way passive system with third order filters throughout.

Tweeter is likely a top Scan or Seas model, such as the X3-06 EXOTIC T35, though Seas have some nice drivers around 92-93 db in their catalogue including a DXT unit.

I will not rule out the big Audax 34mm dome, as I have good experience with that driver.

I also have the option to design the system as a two way and use a two way active crossover to drive the midrange and bass separately or use a plate amp to drive the bass section separately and let the mid roll of naturally. The plate amp or active crossover means that I can integrate and drive the bass better. Active bass is better anyway?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.