• overall response-2.gif
    overall response-2.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_5667-1280pix.jpg
    IMG_5667-1280pix.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got the Yamaha WXC-50 yesterday and now the bedroom system is finished.

TV via optical, phone/notebook via Bluetooth and Spotify premium via wifi. Spl goes high enough without gain boost in FA123. MusicCast is pretty nice with many optional settings, it needs more learning. I don't want multiroom, but my living room RX-V 685 could be coupled.

Attachments

• as1h bedroom.jpg
    as1h bedroom.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Some more fine tuning of dsp settings done. W/M xo now at 300Hz LR2. It's really difficut to get valid measurements indoors, but that'll have to do. Mixed set of nearfield, 1m and spot...

Room mode at 30Hz is major because it is longitudinal and speakers are in front corners - and will stay. Closed box woofers get dramatic boost, but I can call that "bottom oomph" and be happy.Didn't tame it down at all!

Wavelet shows modes well, and look how different they look when mic is moved 60cm! Measurements taken at 3 different mic positions around spot.

Link to Google files, go to bottom!

Attachments

• as1h v22 varispot 200ms 124.jpg
    as1h v22 varispot 200ms 124.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 113
Inspired by this hifijim's thread https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/vituixcad-simulations-with-ideal-drivers.380658/
I made some Edge sims of the double baffle in my modified Avalanches.

Edge doesn't support edge contours, but gives nice overlays of different setups. Dimensions in these sims aren't exactly right, but give and idea of what happens. Measurements of mid and tweeter (with serial cap) without eq and xo on-axis response shown too

AS1h album link https://photos.app.goo.gl/uBqYxH1G86dHJGfZ6

as1h double baffle mid edge.jpg as1h double baffle tw edge.jpg as1h m t raw onax  6ms 112.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have been promoting "good'ole high F LR2 crossover here and there...

Here is a good example, Mission 770 loudspeaker, 2-ways 5000/pair, LR2 xo at 2,9kHz

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mission-770-loudspeaker

"Conclusion
Traditionally, a reviewer lists a loudspeaker's performance in specific regions: "The bass was ..., the midrange was ..., the high frequencies were ..., the stereo imaging was ..., etc." This proved more difficult to do with the Mission 770 than I had anticipated, because the loudspeaker's sonic character was in some ways more than the sum of its parts. The highs didn't call attention to themselves, the bass was well-extended and articulate, the stereo imaging was sufficiently well-defined. But all through my time with the Missions, I kept returning to that warm, detailed, and musically involving midrange. That's where the 770 excels, and that's why I recommend it."

And here vertical dispersion of my Avalanche with LR2 at 3500Hz. Notice how null changes with angle - PIR gets smoother!

Avalanche.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Only 6.5" for woofers. This is a called a "big floorstanding speaker"

At 21cm wide, it's a pretty and petite floorstander in North America or Australia.

For woofering I don't think 8" is enough.
Twin 8" at a minimum.

Come on Dynaudio give us twin 8"-12" woofers!

I took the tunrntable and measurement gear to bedroom and tuned dsp settings a little. MT xo changed to 2500hz LR2 with some eq tuning. o-90 deg polars were taken at 80cm distance and I used here 10ms gating , so response below 1kHz has artefacts. Mic height was between M and T. No room response measurements this time.

I use LR2 xo, which gives less than smooth horizontal response 2-4kHz. 4,5kHz has baffle edge interferences form the narrow sub-baffle. 26mm textile dome has high directivity above 12kHz. I have no interest to try to make response better, because speakers positioning in the room gives much more problems that cannot be fixed.

Measurements with REW shown with smoothing 1/24, traced with 1/6 to VCAD2.

as1 v3c 0-90 10ms 124.jpg Avalanche AS1dsp v3c 10ms Hann 16 line norm (hor).png

Avalanche AS1dsp v3c 10ms Hann 16 pol norm (hor).png Avalanche AS1dsp v3c 10ms Hann 16 wf norm (hor).png Avalanche AS1dsp v3c 10ms Hann 16 surf norm (hor).png
Avalanche AS1dsp v3c hor Power+DI.png

Last edited:
It is snowing again and I have a day off from work. I was thinking about testing some masking to smooth the midrange, but instead decided to jus make some eq changes and shift MT xo to 3kHz LR2 acoustic.

These speakers are used only for farfield listening, in not so optimal locations. So, ultimate smoothness of response is not needed. The added panel I made for new drivers is making some unavoidable edge interferences that destroy smooth DI. Stone baffle width is 26cm, added baffle is 14cm.

Let It Be

Avalanche AS1 DSP baffle.jpg leather test.jpg

as1 v3d 0-45 6ms 124.jpg as1 v3d 0-45 ave 20ms 16.jpg

Avalanche AS1dsp v3d 10ms Hann 16 line norm (hor).png Avalanche AS1dsp v3d 10ms Hann 16 pol norm (hor).png Avalanche AS1dsp v3d 10ms Hann 16 surf norm (hor).png