sealed under open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

Ive got a pair of 18" Goldwood 1858 woofers that I was using previously for open baffle. Thinking of making new speakers. Had an idea to use them open down to some frequency, say 50-60hz then hand off to a 18" sealed for lower bass.

Anyone done something like this? Sound good? Best of both or bad match?
Any suggestions of a 18" woofer for the sealed bit? Should be a match sonically and budget wise with the Goldwood I guess. So not bad and dirt cheap! :)

Cheers,
Mr Kramer

I am sure you can make it sound good! :)

The issue with adding bass, like with any speaker, is the room. That's where the most trouble comes from, and without proper integration listeners may strongly feel the sub/bass doesn't work well with the rest of the speaker.

If you are already using active/DSP based crossovers, you should be good to go though! :) You'll be able to best integrate the crossover and EQ the bass modes accurately.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Just hope open and sealed this way won't sound... odd.

Hear you on the room issues. Ran my previous OBs in a little apartment. Now Ive got a big living room with a vaulted ceiling. Its one of the reasons Im looking for other peoples experience. Too many variables and I don't want to go down a path thats simply a bad idea in the first place!

I eq everything but haven't gone to DSP yet. I know this will require an active crossover and as much as Im an analog fan something like miniDSP probably makes more sense.

Sub assisted OB can give a very delightful natural sounding system. I have a smaller system in the TV room, it's the best I have ever heard in OB. Although the sealed sub doesn't produce thunderous bass, it does integrate with room exceptionally well.

Loudspeaker size I feel should be dimension-ed for the size of the room it is to work in.
Too large of a loudspeaker in a small room just doesn't sound right, to me at least. Vice versa is also true.

C.M

Dear mrkramer, it works well! I do that with a clone of Gradient 1.x speakers, you can read about it By clicking my signature.

When we cross a monopole bass source to a dipole midrange, we get cardioid radiation pattern in crossover region (if delays are ok) With LR2 slopes this works very well and this makes speaker placement easy because front-wall interference is minimal in that difficult frequency range.

Another benefit vs. dipole bass is that there is no dipole loss in low bass, instead of it there is boundary reinforcement from front wall and the floor! Sealed bass is just fine! Gradient and I use a downfire woofer to maximize boundary boost.

With multichannel dsp you can easily set xo slopes, delays and eq your speakers!

This is 360¤ horizontal polar response from AINOgradient
603739d1488829896t-aino-gradient-collaborative-speaker-project-ainogneo83-vx-0-180-polar-normaliz-jpg

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey all,

Ive got a pair of 18" Goldwood 1858 woofers that I was using previously for open baffle. Thinking of making new speakers. Had an idea to use them open down to some frequency, say 50-60hz then hand off to a 18" sealed for lower bass.

Anyone done something like this? Sound good? Best of both or bad match?
Any suggestions of a 18" woofer for the sealed bit? Should be a match sonically and budget wise with the Goldwood I guess. So not bad and dirt cheap! :)

Cheers,
Mr Kramer

just google basszilla...it has been done 20+ years ago...

Wait, your saying women don't like multiple 18" speakers in the house?

My existing divers are an 18 and a 12 coax and Id like some symmetry. Also having the lower bass smaller than the mid bass seems wrong some how. I know this isn't a really solid reason but there it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.