Karlson front chamber shape?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look at the 6 inch K-coupler plans and shape of chamber above the slanted baffle. What differences would you expect in response and subjective behavior between the two? (fwiw - I do have curved reflector in a small 8K and 18K but its height is short in the 8K compared to the plan below)

Attachments

• FeW01Jz.jpg
    FeW01Jz.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 120
Freddi,

I'd expect the semi-parabolic reflector in the upper cabinet to increase resonant behavior in the mid-range of the 6" from around 400 to 800 Hz. Subjectively, more "sonorous" or "ringing", "full bodied" or "fruity". One might even describe it as having a more eldritch quality, but that may be pushing it a bit ;^).

The extra panel(s) in the lower example would make it behave more like a TL than a BR.
In either case, Fb would be difficult to predict other than empirically.

Art

Hi Art - that pretty well describes what might happen with the curved reflector. GregB's "Karlsonator"'s front chamber "reflector" is pretty much just Karlson's K12 extended in height.

btw - your Dad's "K8" is one of the smoothest little K I've seen :D (purple trace)

Attachments

• CDaPypC.jpg
    CDaPypC.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 121
Freddi,

I'd expect the semi-parabolic reflector in the upper cabinet to increase resonant behavior in the mid-range of the 6" from around 400 to 800 Hz. Subjectively, more "sonorous" or "ringing", "full bodied" or "fruity". One might even describe it as having a more eldritch quality, but that may be pushing it a bit ;^).

I'd use the right words such as cavity effect for the semi-enclosed volume, and diffraction at borders for the aperture.

:rolleyes:

regarding the rear chamber - is there an advantage to the way Transylvania, KK-Audio, Westwood, Acoustic Control , etc. did a tapered profile ?

the reason I heard that Ks disappeared was due to JBL having patent rights and they threatened to sue at least one maker. (Mrs K apparently issued multiple licenses)

Attachments

• 3FF13732-5CFC-40EF-AA5F-C9C69CF6D6B5.gif
    3FF13732-5CFC-40EF-AA5F-C9C69CF6D6B5.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 94
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.