Adding a ribbon tweeter to an Alpair 6.2m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tang Band W3-1364SA with Peerless XT25SC90

So a smaller tweeter would reduce the distance thus making integration more likely to succeed?

Something like this.

Attachments

• SUPER-MICRO_2-1.jpg
    SUPER-MICRO_2-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 159
It's an excercise in learning mid/tweeter crossovers.

I didn't realize your goal here was in learning through experiments - I thought you wanted a better speaker from what you have - sorry for pushing you in a different direction .... Well, knowing your goals my suggestion is that you might want to get several different kinds of tweeters and compare them - you'll learn way more that way if your goal is to try things and build up some experience of what doesn't work and what does and how they tradeoff against each other. A done, a ribbon and a waveguide would all be interesting and offer different perspectives. You could also try back-to-back tweeters to form a dipole etc.

That's a good idea, ti may be what I end up doing. But to be honest, I would like improve upon the speaker I have already built. I understand many may think the Alpair FR is top dog but I am sure there is room for improvement and experimentation!

I didn't realize your goal here was in learning through experiments - I thought you wanted a better speaker from what you have - sorry for pushing you in a different direction .... Well, knowing your goals my suggestion is that you might want to get several different kinds of tweeters and compare them - you'll learn way more that way if your goal is to try things and build up some experience of what doesn't work and what does and how they tradeoff against each other. A done, a ribbon and a waveguide would all be interesting and offer different perspectives. You could also try back-to-back tweeters to form a dipole etc.

Thanks for sharing! That definitely puts this driver back in to the running!

I took the 3.5H horn off and presto - very wide lateral dispersion! Vertical stays practically the same.

For minimal c-c distance and high xo, 3/4" neodyme tweeters that come without a flange/plate are the best. An example
Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter

My measurements of Fountek NeoCD3.5H outdoor in a narrow baffle with xo and indoor without the horn in a normal baffle (less distance) Both 5ms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.