Spica TC-60 Tweeter D27TG-45

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Spica TC-60 speakers that I enjoy and recently one of the tweeters started acting up. It goes into a static mode (only the tweeter) and then cuts out. If I turn up the volume up loud it will start working again but then when I turn it down it cuts out again. I have replaced the Dome Coil with a ScanSpeak (600058) from Madison but that didn't correct the problem.

Any ideas before I start tearing into the Crossover?

Thanks in advance on any ideas.
Best
-Jesse :cool:

Last edited:
Before you open up the speaker to check the crossover, make sure there are no loose external connections like binding posts. If you do have to get to the crossover, remove the woofer for access. First, look for any burned, loose, or frayed wires connected to the tweeter. Next I'd check the capacitors and resistors in the tweeter network. If the capacitors are electrolytic, it's likely they should be replaced with equivalent value film caps. You can use higher voltage caps but keep the uFd values the same. Check the resistors for signs of over-heating. If you replace components on one crossover you'll have to do the same for the other one.

Something else occurred to me. Before you open up the speaker to access the crossover, try swapping tweeters. If the problem persists with the original tweeter, then there's your culprit. If the swapped tweeter into the original cabinet exhibits the problem, then it's got to be in the crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.