Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

CSS Criton 1TD Review
CSS Criton 1TD Review
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2018, 01:02 PM   #1
armeker is offline armeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CSS Criton 1TD Review

Don't know if you guys read Noaudiophile's reviews. I find them pretty entertaining as he generally rips into junk stuff. Just saw he posted a review of the CSS Criton 1TD kit on his website earlier this week. It looks like a really good deal on the kit with the knock down cabinets.

Creative Sound Solutions Criton 1TD v2 Bookshelf Speaker Review
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:31 PM   #2
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't stand his reviews but the measurement shows it's a great speaker. He seems to not realize that perhaps the reason why the highs are 'sparkly' despite NOT having the rise in response he anticipated is because of the Jantzen Superior caps, which have exactly the presentation he describes. But since he is clearly in the 'no difference' camp he doesn't even put two and two together. Anyone who has used those inductors and caps knows what to expect.

Might help if his speakers weren't right next to a wide flat television, but whatever. Coming from him, that's about as good a review as you can expect.
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:52 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CSS Criton 1TD Review
I know the drivers are good… CSS has also indicated they might also supply the flat-pak boxes in quality plywood which would be a step up.

dave
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:33 PM   #4
Navy Guy is offline Navy Guy  United States
diyAudio Member

My name is Kerry. I'm one of the owners of CSS. I saw this thread and wanted to add some comments from our side and make sure any questions about the kit were answered.

First, I'd like to thank Andy at noaudiophile.com for taking the time to review our updated Criton kit. We knew going in that Andy has a very unique review style and is always bluntly honest in his opinion, but we were confident enough in our product to put it out there for him to write about.

We thought that given our "bare bones" kit pricing, it fit in line with some of the midrange stuff like ELAC that he has reviewed in the past and might appeal to some of his readers. Overall, we're very happy with the review. His measurements match ours fairly closely and he had many overall positive things to say about our kit, which isn't common in a lot of his reviews.

Two things I would like to address are the "sparkly" tweeter and the bass response. We discussed the tweeter with him while he still had our kit. Our opinion was that he was hearing the broader dispersion of the 22mm dome tweeter. Smaller domes have wider dispersion and put more energy into the room at high frequencies than larger domes. You can see this in the off-axis measurements where the tweeter's response doesn't fall off much until very far off-axis. This typically provides a "different" presentation to a larger sized dome which can sometimes sound like extra detail in the top end.

On the bass response, Andy used a ground plane measurement for his bass measurement. He believes this is the most accurate way to measure bass response. We use a blended near field measurement that takes into consideration baffle losses to get an accurate bass response. We also model our boxes with actual T/S parameters and then measure impedance to verify the tuning matches our model. Both solutions are valid but can sometimes lead to different results.

However, I will say that everyone who has heard our kit so far has been impressed with the bass capabilities, so I believe that two things could have occurred during the review. One possibility is that some of the stuffing inside the cabinet ended up blocking the output of the port and reducing it's output. The other is that the room these were in had a strong room mode around 40 Hz making them sound like they didn't extend as deep.

Either way, it was an entertaining review and we hope everyone enjoyed it. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 24th February 2018, 04:29 PM   #5
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I can't stand his reviews but the measurement shows it's a great speaker. He seems to not realize that perhaps the reason why the highs are 'sparkly' despite NOT having the rise in response he anticipated is because of the Jantzen Superior caps, which have exactly the presentation he describes. But since he is clearly in the 'no difference' camp he doesn't even put two and two together. Anyone who has used those inductors and caps knows what to expect.

Might help if his speakers weren't right next to a wide flat television, but whatever. Coming from him, that's about as good a review as you can expect.
Yeah, from his description at first, I didn't expect the razor flat FR he posted. From the woofer specs, you can see that the LDW7 will have an F3 close to 40Hz in this size enclosure and that's what the Criton 1TD measurements show on the CSS website. I agree that this is about the best review you'll get on noaudiophile.

Dan
Old 24th February 2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Navy Guy is offline Navy Guy  United States
diyAudio Member

I will also say I don’t think that the Jantzen Superior cap added a lot of “sparkle” to the highs but made everything sound much smoother overall and better separation of instruments.
Old 25th February 2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Sorry, to spoil your festivities here, but the off axis curves of this system demonstrate the typical shortcomings of a classic 15cm cone-25-28mm dome combo. The off-axis curves should not cross/intersect, but gradually fall off in straight lines.

A sonogram would most likley yield a "Battleship Galactica" picture.

The drivers by themselves are nice 'nuff, but systemwise things do not look good.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:12 PM   #8
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Sorry, to spoil your festivities here, but the off axis curves of this system demonstrate the typical shortcomings of a classic 15cm cone-25-28mm dome combo. The off-axis curves should not cross/intersect, but gradually fall off in straight lines.

The drivers by themselves are nice 'nuff, but systemwise things do not look good.
That off axis respinse is inherent in the 2-way format and actually looks pretty good at that. The constant directivity curves look nice, but don't necessarily make for a better sounding speaker. Altogether this looks like an excellent system, even without factoring in the minimal cost.

Dan
Old 25th February 2018, 03:03 PM   #9
armeker is offline armeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post

I'm not sure what a sonogram is or what a "Battleship Galactica" picture is either. I Googled the "Battleship Galactica" and I can only assume that you mean a polar response graph and this:

CSS Criton 1TD Review

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also assuming you think narrow directivity waveguide is the only way to go. I don't subscribe to narrow directivity being the only thing that sounds good. I've heard constant directivity speakers sound terrible or really good. Same with standard 2-ways or omni speakers. I think as long as the speaker is well designed it can sound good. The bigger problems I've found are large peaks in directivity, like found in B&W speakers that cross the tweeter at 4 kHz to a 6" midrange.

If you look at their website, you can see the response falls off pretty smooth off axis. Only a little bump in the 3-4 kHz range, which is probably mostly diffraction related based on the baffle size. https://www.css-audio.com/criton1td
Old 26th February 2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJones View Post
That off axis respinse is inherent in the 2-way format
Dan

Only if the speaker is underdesigned, ie a 180deg waveguide for the tweeter and a too-high crossover.

I bet that Wavecor (sorry, “custom”) woofer and tweeter would make a good speaker...with a small midrange between them.

CSS Criton 1TD ReviewHide this!Advertise here!