Troels 2-way with Fostex 126 and Fountek Ribbon tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a two-way system so this forum should be fine.

This combination is a bit strange. Although Fostex FE126E has better bass among full range speakers, bass is still its biggest drawback.

Fostex FE126E's high frequency should be fine, I've tried to pair Fostek FE127E (a cousin of 126, maybe) with a tweeter through a Linkwitz Riley crossover, bi-amping but I don't see any improvement in sound. Probably just my taste or my ears cannot distinguish between the two setups.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting driver choice. As I see the virtue is a higher sensitivity (approx 88db) than typical from a small speaker like this(usually around 84db)

HOWEVER this only achieved with speaker against a wall ( "bookshelf" ) and likely still a lean bass so I see no advantage.

All the coils on the x over board in same direction...........

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FE126 really wants to be in a horn to have any chance of decent bass. Adding the tweeter and XO is one way to deal with the HF problems. But that XO will get in the way of what people like about this driver.

It should also be noted that the FE126e has not been available for a long time. The FE126En now sold is probably different enuff that the XO and bass alignmnet would need to be revisted. I would suggest looking further.

dave

Thanks for the replies guys. I had only asked because I happen to have both of the drivers and was wondering what to do with them.

I have lots of experience with Fostex drivers and actually have a pair of horns with the 126 already...

I am however not a big fan of Troels tendency to go overboard on the crossovers....

I think I will give it a go and report back.

If I dont like it I can always do something else with the drivers.

I am after a desktop monitor to go with my laptop and I think these just might do the trick...

These guys here. They are at my girlfriends apartment at the moment. (She really likes them as well:))

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 300
The Von Schweizer uses the FX120 which is quite a different beast than the FE126.

dave

Sure, but inspiration is pretty clear, Troels uses same tweeter and in a partsexpress cabinet .....

I personally really liked this tweeter in the axis voicebox, I thought that this Australian speaker was one of the highlights of the last THE show at Newport, small two way paired with a 5" peerless nomex driver

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't understand planet10's design yet, it's like a bass reflex design?

In the strictess sense it is a BR. But the long high ratio slots add resistance which pushes the box towards aperiodic and makes them more tolerant of dynamic changes in T/S parameters. It puts constraints on the bass alignment in the sim, and puts limits on how low the tuning can be. When doing a sim i look for a specific shape curve knowing from experience the effects of the radical shaped vents. One gets very fineesed articulate bass that goes only as low as it goes.

We have done literally into the hundres of designs based on this “miniOnken” alignment.

dave

I have previously had a pair of FX120... They were quite nice for the size.

I am quite curious however about the ribbon + fullrange combo though.

Most all of these smaller fostex drivers are pretty ragged above 5k and the ribbon should have not only the sensitivity but a super smooth response that high which I am hoping will compliment the fostex well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.