multiple huge woofers but only one tiny midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building 3-way towers but I've got trouble matching the midrange drivers to the woofers and midrange. The towers will include:
-4: Dayton Audio DSA215-8 (2x series in parallel)
-6: Dayton Audio SD215-PR
-1: Fountek NeoX3.0
-?: midrange? Would like to use Reference Series.

I've got so much woofer because first I wanted to use 2 10" subwoofer drivers (RSS265HF-4) because I'm not really an extreme basshead but I sometimes like boosting some lows and I want this system to be very capable of doing that. But I'm not going to use those drivers anymore because because they're subwoofers they move so much air and require ports so big and long that I couldn't really implement them in the way I wanted the design of my enclosure. I really love the design/looks of the Dali Epicon 6/8s and they were also able to rear port them but I needed way bigger ports (2 x 4" or 4 x 3") and the Precision ports which I would probably use have such stupidly big flares and mounting (2 or more times the ID) that it just wouldn't fit.
And next to that they are also difficult to drive because they would either be 2 ohms in parallel but that isn't really a pleasant impedance for the amp or they could be 8 ohms in series but than I would lose the extra sensitivity making one of the two drivers useless and then I would need pretty big amps. But all this doesn't really matter as much to me as the problem with the ports. If I could solve the ports I might still do this setup if you guys think it wouldn't be a bad thing. A way I could make it work is with passive radiators but these my second choice because €$.
SO IF YOU THINK I COULD SOLVE THE PORTS AND THINK IT WOULD END UP SOUNDING GOOD, I WILL APPRECIATE YOUR ADVISE.

But getting back to the main point. I have trouble matching the output and sensitivity of midrange driver(s) to the woofers and tweeter. The tweeter and woofers of this current idea have such a high sensitivity and can reach such high output levels that I would need multiple midrange drivers to get a flat response. But I'm trying to keep the number of midrange drivers at one because I think it looks nicer and because it would safe some nice bucks which I could then spent on PR's. And so now we're getting to the main question:

You see al the big and good manufacturers having huge multiple woofers and big high powered (horn) tweeter able to produce a hell of a lot of output but than then they have only one, in comparison to the woofers, tiny little midrange and that's enough.

How do they do that? How are they able to use huge woofers and tweeters and only need one little midrange? Do these drivers have extremely sensitivities and power ratings?

So to wrap this way to long text up for you:
-Do you think this is a good driver selection? If not, what do you think would be better?
-Do you think the idea with the 10" (sub)woofers was a good driver selection and would sound good/better. If so what do think I should do with ports or that I should use PR's. I do kind of prefer the 10s over the 8s because they go deeper, are reference series, and because I kind of liked my idea of subwoofers in towers (unless you say it would sound bad).
-How can manufacturers only need a single midrange driver and do you think I could pull it of in this (or the 10") driver selection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.