Polymer Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its Sunday, my day for random thoughts and stupid ideas.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using acetal as a cabinet material. Its got some interesting mechanical properties in that it is very easy to machine, can hold high tolerances, and most interesting of all has a high acoustic attenuation rate. The downside of course is that its heavy and not particularly stiff so any speaker cabinet will need some careful thought on bracing.

I can't find much in the literature, and other than the use of injection moulded cabinets for mass produced speakers and some studio monitors I can't find much on commercial uses of polymers. The is probably due to the weight issue and shipping costs.

I am going to try an experiment with a trial cabinet but wondered if anyone has been down this path before?

Burnt

I agree, it is! I was thinking of an assembly approach that was mechanical - machined surfaces and fastenings, with an internal sealing method using elastomers. Possibly even using gaskets. I have used water cutting services locally for another project and the cost of cutting is very reasonable. The acetal would be milled for a good quality joint.

I had to look up Acetal to find out that it is commonly know as Delrin in the US. It is indeed a very useful plastic often used to make parts for fixturing. But it is too expensive for mass consumption.

I have used polyurethane boards (Renshape) extensively. While extremely expensive compared to plywood or MDF, they are a delight to work with because of their dimensional stability, ease of cutting and machining and they bond extremely well. They will allow for a superior finish as well.

Interesting and thank you. When I looked up Renshape I realised I had used it before for modelling in my past life-we used to call it plastic wood! Its a very nice material for machining. However, I recall that if you had a relatively thin sheet of the material and struck it you got a 'ring' a bit like an MDF board but a higher frequency response. If you try striking a Delrin sheet the response is not so pronounced. There are a lot of reports in the literature of polymers used for ultrasonic work where Delrin has a very impressive 30dB per cm attenuation rate, but unfortunately there is nothing for lower frequencies that i can see. However, it does seem like a very 'lossy' material as does Polythene and PTFE.
It might be something best answered by testing some sample, but before I started, I wondered if anyone had tried this before.

I find that Renshape has an extremely high damping factor. I don't think that it rings at all. That's one of its major attractions for me. It does come in several densities and that may be a factor. I use the lightest density but thicker than average panels. This yield an extremely dead cabinet that it actually pretty light - what's not to like? (The cost!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.