Finemet cut core coils for passive crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted to pass on a titbit on these very high-end inductors:
Noguchi network coils

They are multi-tapped ribbon copper coils wound on special "Finemet" cut cores, and according to some Japanese aficionados they are supposed to be the nec plus ultra for passive crossovers.

They can be had for small change too: just approx. 450 € / 500 $ each :D

Cool, ain't it?

Marco

Attachments

• FM-NW6.jpg
    FM-NW6.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 171
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, no, maybe. These are not output transformer cores. I usually avoid iron cores in tweeter circuits and resistance isn't usually an issue there anyway.

Then the cores would be contributing significantly with small gaps and I usually try to avoid this in woofer circuits. I could see this as useful for low resistance.

I have made this exact type of coil. 500 each!!?? I tell you what , you tell me what power and inductance you want and I will make you the same for 1/2 that price ;).

A couple years ago while developing a ribbon, I played around quite a bit with Amorphous cores in the transformer. used them to make instructors as well.

I know many will say the amorphous core is closer to the theoretical ideal BUT my ears tell me the advantages may not be what we would like to believe.

I built a number of transformers of various sizes for mid and treble ribbons of both amorph and silicon iron. There may have been a difference as often we liked the sound of the standard silicon iron core better. Must be something wrong with our ears ;).

In the woofer/mid coil I hear absolutely no improvement at all over standard steel core. In the treble region you really dont need the iron so not an issue.

In the woofer/mid coil I hear absolutely no improvement at all over standard steel core. In the treble region you really dont need the iron so not an issue.

Thank you for your first-hand feedback.

I actually suspected that this might be a typical case of the law of diminishing returns... pushed to the point where a theoretical improvement no longer results in any audible difference.

But I still think it's somewhat cool to chase that last bit of extra "ideality" if one can...

M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.