Casting material for a small speaker box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I though of casting up a small speaker cabinet for a 3" driver probably about 1 litre inner volume.

I am planning on using potting compound that were originally intended for electronic compounds, as they tend to be soft which would suggest better damping properties. However they are not cheap, so I intend to add in some rough sand or large pebbles to act as fillers to form a composite of resin and rocks/sand. Giving it weight and damping.

The question is, which do you think will do a better job of damping, bigger rocks or smaller rocks (such as rough sand).

Thanks.

Oon

I'm not sure what specific products are offered in Singapore but here in the states, Custom Building Products offers a product called "custom float". It's a lightweight concrete with expanded polystyrene(Styrofoam) beads in it. When mixed just a little dry, it's easy to pack into a form and put a nice smooth finish on.
The other idea I had was to use a foaming agent and create aerated concrete. Basically the foaming agent gets whipped into a consistency like dessert cream and is then added to a sand cement mix where it entrains air bubbles in the finished mix, keeping the concrete light and fluffy.
A combination of the two may yield even better results. Add some reinforcing fibers and you should be able to cast as thin as 12mm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.