Meet my triplets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sort of my own trilogy. Although it's hard for anyone to pick which is the best movie trilogy of all time, the worst I am pretty sure Christopher Nolan Dark Knight trilogy earns it. It may not actually be the worst worst, but considering all the other garbage he made, it deserves it. But if you really want to know which is the best, if I have to be honest I think the Apu trilogy from India is probably the best but the movie is so depressing that I wish no man will have to see it. Therefore it wouldn't be the best since very few will like it unless you're about to give up on your life.
A more universal choice and therefore I think the best is a French production call Blue, White and Red. Krzysztof Kieślowski is the director who is from eastern Europe, area not unknown in cinematic production itself.

But I don't have a Blue, White and Red but more like White, Red, and Yellow. The White is not quite white but more like Touch of White so I'll call TWhite.

I'll do a comparison once they all done. I've just finished the Cleopatra so I will compare them all together.

1. TWhite drivers: Satori TW29RN-B and Scan Speak 15W/8531K-00. It's an uncoated version of the slice paper cone. The reason I chose it is because it's slightly more efficient vs. the coated cone. The sound will be more lively and maybe a bit more dynamic.

2. Red drivers: SBAcoustic SB29RDC-C000-4 and SB15MFC30-4 5".

3. Yellow drivers: Satori TW29RN-B and Seas Excel W15LY-001.

After my initial measurements, here are a few objective observation:
The ScanSpeak seems the be the best at high freq. roll off and appears to be the easiest for xover. The SBAcoustic poly is the most efficient but in term of high freq. response, it appears to be the worst. The Seas is well I actually don't know yet. It's about the same efficient as the Scanspeak but appears to be a bit ragged at freq response, a bit rough I suppose but will see once I listen. I am sure they all will sound beautiful but based on what I see from measurement and reputation, the scan speak is probably the favorite and the sound will be lovely and tasty. The poly may actually edges out on the Seas since the poly warmness may win over. The Seas no doubt is very good but may be a bit cold sounding vs. the ScanSpeak and poly. The final competition will probably come down to the TWhite and my just finish Cleopatra. My guess is the Satori MW16 of the Cleopatra will offer an interesting and vivid articulation but the TWhite may win out in overall presentation.

The reason I choose 5in is because they all will be first order. I do a rough simulation which I posted below. I also attached my own measurements. Once I finish with final xover, I'll post them here. First off is TWhite. Can't wait to get it fire up. Yummy.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
My initial simulation of the TWhite. The basic xover is similar to the Cleopatra. I also do a simpler 1st order but with woofer polarity inverted (I am surprised the phase just lined up). I attached my first attempt at xover and my initial measurements.

Attachments

• TWhite_time_alinged.png
    TWhite_time_alinged.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 381
  • TWhite_inverted.png
    TWhite_inverted.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 354
  • TWhite.zip
    194.7 KB · Views: 36
I've had a chance to listen to TWhite with my updated xover below. The Scan Speak is quite a driver and I guess all the hypes are true. Although I've never listened to all of them, I think it would be hard to beat the Scan Speak. I used to have the Seas magnesium but I don't think it's as musical as the SS. A lot have been made between the Satori MW16 vs. the ScanSpeak but I am afraid the SS is a better driver. As I mention before, the MW16 may have an interesting midrange articulation, but the SS is just a better driver overall. I could see the MW16 may excel in a few micro-dynamic aspects and it may have a more beguiling sound, but the SS may actually has more details where it matters and I think it has better and more bass and overall it's a more accomplished driver. There are occasions where I thought the MW16 has lost composure but the SS just plows through with no problem. And for a small size, the SS sounds very big. I never felt that I listened to a small speakers.
You sort of forget about its size. The SS makes xover design quite a bit easier as well. The SS costs about $50 more but I think it sounds more than $50 better. Although I don't have the AirCir tweeter but something tells me it may be easier for xover works vs. the Satori TW29RN-B. I guess that's why you pay extra for the SS but it's definitely worth it.
As of right now, looks like TWhite is the winner. The SBAcoustic poly may have a warmer presentation but I don't think it has the details of the SS. The only thing stands in its way is the Yellow Seas Nextel, but something tells me it's a light weight vs. the heavy hitter SS.
The SS sounds so good that may be I should have called the speakers Touch of Heaven or Touch of Nirvana ... hm but maybe I shouldn't feel so lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 135
  • TWhite_update.png
    TWhite_update.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 131
A friend of mine once told me don't drive high end luxury car because you can't go back especially if you can't afford it.
Now that I've listened to the Scan Speak, the SB Poly cone does seem like a let down. By itself in isolation, it's not that bad but compared to the SS, the sound lacks the extra dimension. It does not quite have the depth and width of the SS. Think of it as the Toyota IS250 whereas the SS is the M3 CSL. On Troels website he said if you wear belt and suspenders then you probably like the SB poly cone. Since I am car guy, I would say if you drive a Toyota and enjoy a small cup of tea while watching the rain, you probably like the poly cone.
I attached my final xover below. There is a peak at around 6KHz which materialize itself to a small degree of sibilance but it doesn't seem to bother me.

Attachments

• red_final.png
    red_final.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 76
I think there is 2 different goals of high end audio industry, the first one is the money and the second one I can't remember. This conclusion was borrowed from a certain person.

Actually I am not sure what's the goal of high end audio or human existence. People will just go on and on until something happens. Kind of a contradiction. We naturally want our earth bigger so there would be more place for human vanity and hubris but as the earth gets bigger, you got more gravity so Ms. Kate Upton will have look more like Rosie than a supermodel that she is.

I mean I saw Elon Musk show casing his new electric supercar roaster that can do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. At this point his company is no longer an engineering endeavor but more like a place for flaunting his vanity. If I want to show off I'd buy a either Lamborghini or a Ferrari.

The reason I do 1st order because it seems like an high end exclusive club. If I want to do 2nd/3rd order with inverted polarity, there is no point since there are lot of very good projects on the web so there is no point pollute the sphere.

Last edited:
The goal of human existence is really simple and can be easily extracted from what we do with our DIY endeavours. We want to be happy, loved, recognized, respected, creative... only one has to keep in mind not to hurt others trying to achieve all that or it doesn't make sense any more.

The goal of human existence is really simple and can be easily extracted from what we do with our DIY endeavours. We want to be happy, loved, recognized, respected, creative... only one has to keep in mind not to hurt others trying to achieve all that or it doesn't make sense any more.

I agree once should not try to hurt each other. I would stand behind anyone to help him or her regardless.

What would happen if Russia and America decide to go to war?
This is the situation I am facing between the Nextel vs. ScanSpeak. It's close and I am not sure which is better. The Nextel may actually have a better midrange than the ScanSpeak but the SS by far has more bass and pretty nice midrange itself too. Hm... which is the better? I don't know. Some people may actually prefer the Nextel but I have to go with the SS. Ideally, I would have both. Maybe one night with the SS and the other night with the Nextel, or two, three nights with the SS and one night with the Nextel, but there is no winner here and there is no point trying to pick a winner.
I thought it would be between the Satori MW16 vs. SS, but the MW16 is just outclassed by the sophistication of the Nextel.
So like the way they do in supercar shoot out, at the end they have a summary and ranking of each car starting from last to first.

#4. Poly cone - more Toyota IS250 than supercar. Reliable, dependable, efficient but no supercar.

#3. Satori MW16 - It's the Alfa Romero. Maybe a close cousin of Ferrari but no Ferrari. Offers an interesting alternative.

#1. A tie - Nextel is the 458 Speciale while the SS is the 488 GTB.

After this exercise, I am starting to think the entire range of SBAcoustic is more hype than real. I mean they have nice and affordable drivers but way too much marketing but fall short in performance. I was actually a bit disappointed by the Satori MW16, it's nice but a bit underwhelming. Better than Seas paper cone not quite supercar. The first time I heard either the SS or the Nextel, I knew right away I was listening to something special, something unique, like having seen Ms. Kate Upton for the first time. One of a kind I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 80
  • yellow_final.png
    yellow_final.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.