Do you rotate your speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, but, it's a different kettle of fish surely? Mounted vertically the coil is positioned at rest in the horizontal by the suspension.
Gravity produces a vertically downward force on the voice coil whereas the electromagnetic force produces a horizontal force.

At first glance it would appear that the electromagnetic force should play no part in centering the voice coil.

However, if we consider that the current carrying voice coil is an electromagnet, then the interaction of its magnetic field with the permanent magnetic field of the speaker magnet will ensure that the voice coil is electromagnetically centered while reproducing a music signal.

Slide 2

Last edited:
I have done it with some 22 year old Fostex Monitors. Did it make a difference? Only for my peace of mind.....
My 50 year old 12" Wharfedale RS12DD drivers have survived prolonged vertical use, followed by prolonged horizontal storage, followed by further prolonged use.

No regard has ever been given to their orientation, and they sound as sweet today as they did in 1968. Good old fashioned British engineering, built to last!

Attachments

• RS12DD.jpg
    RS12DD.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 89
Gravity produces a vertically downward force on the voice coil whereas the electromagnetic force produces a horizontal force.

At first glance it would appear that the electromagnetic force should play no part in centering the voice coil.

However, if we consider that the current carrying voice coil is an electromagnet, then the interaction of its magnetic field with the permanent magnetic field of the speaker magnet will ensure that the voice coil is electromagnetically centered while reproducing a music signal.

Slide 2
I totally agree, when mounted vertically. We are talking about when mounted horizontally, firing down or up, and how gravity then displaces the cone

Sorry SJ, I realised after posting that I had quoted inappropriately. I was in fact reacting to post #41, which referred to vertical mounting.

As to the influence of gravity in this orientation, its force is weak compared to the centering forces of the spider and the interaction of the magnetic fields.

That's ok. Linkwitz was concerned about the downward displacement of the Pluto subwoofer, and I've read that it can change the symmetry of the suspension's distortions. I can't see how playing music would pull the cone up, as it were, so that it is operating equally either side of its normal resting position if the speaker was mounted vertically.

Re post 41, we were talking about how Mark's speakers were mounted, down/up firing

My post 43 is a bit gobbledygooky

Last edited:
Right you are! As I said in post #36, there are several distinct themes in this discussion and I, for one, am easily confused! :confused:

Drivers intended for horizontal mounting surely must have different spider designs from those intended for vertical mounting (e.g. dual spiders have been mentioned).

Maybe these spider(s) apply more constraint to the axial motion of the cone?

Last edited:
I rotate my AINO-speakers every time I put on my maid's uniform and mince around the house dusting and vacuuming! They like the attention they get from me this way, I am sure of that.

Seriously, I have had two downfiring SEAS L26ROYs for five years, but I haven't even thought about turning them upside down. They are versions with "light cone", Mms 107g. Beyma 12" midranges have stood in almost vertical position without rotations for the same time, nos problemos either, Mms 59g. Perhaps I should rotate my Dayton DC380 15" subwoofers, they have been in same vertical position for 5½ years with very little playing time, Mms 183g. But I can't hear rubbing or see any asymmetry.

Last edited:
My wife rotates her sleep position 90 degrees (back, right side, stomach, left side) on a weekly basis so that her breast implants maintain their original position. 32 feet per second squared. the most powerful force in the universe.

That was very funny ! :D:D

To add something else:

One of the tests to verify the good construction of the mechanical system of a speaker is (although common sense tells us it is a heresy) to press on the edge, the cone must move uniformly without tilting, in the same way as if we did center.
I've tried it with an 18-inch Eminence subwofeer and passed the test. I do not know if this tells you something .....

One of these days I will repeat the test with my 14-inch vintage JBL, although they have been rotated by pure chance when I had to replace the wings twice. But I have no hurry, there are other priorities and the force of gravity worries me very little in this case.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.